Champaign Centennial Crowned State Champs in National Archery in the Schools State Tournament
Jefferson Middle School of Champaign Wins Middle School Division; GRF Elementary of Georgetown First in Elementary School Division
SPRINGFIELD, IL ï¿½ Champaign Centennial High School took first place in the National Archery in the Schools Illinois State Tournament held Saturday at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield. Centennial's winning score was 3,336. Schlarman Academy of Danville was second with 3,331. Roberto Clemente High School of Chicago was third with 3,288.
Two teams from Jefferson Middle School in Champaign took the top two places in the Middle School division. Jefferson scored 3,246 and 3,154. Canton Ingersoll Middle School was third with 3,120. GRF Elementary of Georgetown was first in the Elementary School division with 2,651. Armstrong-Potomac Grade School was second with 2,487. The top male and female individual finishers were Meredith Black of Schlarman Academy with a score of 288 and Daniel Weyers of Canton High School with a score of 296.
Participation continues to grow as 1,056 archers from 38 schools qualified to compete in this yearï¿½s tournament. Participation in the State Tournament has climbed steadily from 400 in 2012 to 700 in 2013 and 873 in 2014. Top finishers qualify for the NASP National Tournament to be held May 7-9 in Louisville, Kentucky.
NASP is a nationally acclaimed youth archery program that implements a curriculum-based archery education program into the public/private school system through the physical education department. The program started in Kentucky in 2002 and has expanded to include thousands of participating schools in five countries. Illinois was one of the first 10 states registered in the program.
Top finishers are listed below. For complete results, visit: http://www.nasptournaments.org/TournamentDetail.aspx?tid=783. Click the menu icon to search results by school or individual.
High School Division
1. Champaign Centennial 3,336
2. Schlarman Academy, Danville 3,331
3. Roberto Clemente High School, Chicago 3,288
4. GRF High School, Georgetown 3,253
5. Lewistown 3,192
6. Armstrong-Potomac High School 3,166
7. Phoenix Military Academy 3,155
8. Canton High School 3,147
9. Athens High School 3,123
10. Central High School, Champaign 3,088
Middle School Division
1. Jefferson Middle School #1 3,246
2. Jefferson Middle School#2 3,154
3. Canton Ingersoll Middle School 3,120
4. GFR Middle School 3,075
5. Lewistown 3,065
6. Schlarman Academy, Danville 3,037
7. Pinckneyville Jr. High 2,968
8. Jefferson Middle School #3 2,961
9. Next Generation School, Champaign 2,857
10. Evansville Attendance Center 2,806
Elementary School Division
1. GRF Elementary 2,651
2. Armstrong-Potomac Grade School 2,487
Male: Daniel Weyers, Canton High School 296
Female: Meredith Black, Schlarman Academy 288
Follow IDNR on