Volo Bog / Moraine Hills (Archery Deer)
Introduction: The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for providing outdoor recreation opportunities for residents of Illinois. Of particular concern is providing safe hunting areas on public lands throughout the State. Moraine Hills State Park (MHSP) has 600 acres for hunting
Location: Located in northeast Illinois, MHSP is southeast of McHenry and VBSNA is northeast of McHenry.
Archery Deer Hunting Regulations:
- Dates: First 10 weeks of the statewide archery season, Fridays through Tuesdays, except during Firearm deer season.
- Permits: Hunting periods will be filled through a mail-in drawing. Applications are available at Moraine Hills State Park and on the IDNR web site https://dnr.illinois.gov . Applications must be received at the Moraine Hills Park Office by Aug 31st to be eligible for the drawing. Successful applicants will be notified by . Applications must be received at the Moraine Hills Park Office by Aug 31st to be eligible for the drawing. Successful applicants will be notified by email before September 15th. This year you will be required to sign in and out, and report harvests at the kiosks found in each designated parking area. Failure to report will result in loss of hunting privileges.
- Hunting Area: Hunting is restricted to designated areas only (see map). New this year: If you are assigned Moraine Hills Zone G, you will be receiving special instructions, due to this zone being a joined McHenry County Conservation District and State property. Hunters are required to hunt from elevated stands which are a 6 foot minimum above ground. Tree stands and climbing devices must be portable, may not cut or pierce the tree bark, but do not have to be removed at the end of each day. All trails are open to hikers during the archery hunting season, therefore stands and gut piles must be a minimum of 75 yards from designated trails. All stands must be tagged with site issued permit number on weatherproof material. Pruning branches up to 1 1/2 inches is allowed on the stand tree only.
- Scouting: Preseason scouting is allowed on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to your assigned hunt, except during firearm deer season.
- Parking: You must park in designated parking lots only. No parking is allowed along roadways.
- Hours: 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset.
- Harvest: Either sex deer may be harvested according to the deer tags in your possession, no other hunting is allowed.
- Tracking: If it is necessary to track a deer onto private property, you must first notify the site office and obtain permission from the landowner. All property around the park is privately owned, please respect the rights of others.
- Unlawful: Plastic markers and flagging tape are prohibited. Spectators are not allowed on the area. All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code of 1971, Administrative Rules 510 and 650, and Federal Regulations apply unless the areas site specific rules are more restrictive.
- Hazards: Bog soil is unstable, poison sumac is hazardous in winter. Controlled burning, for habitat management purposes, may be used in your hunting zone.
For more information please contact: Moraine Hills State Park, Site Superintendent, 1510 S. River Rd., McHenry, IL 60051, (815) 385-1624.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and
those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and
other agencies is available to all individuals
regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability,
age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you
believe you have been discriminated against, contact the
funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal
Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural
Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY