Starved Rock Spring Turkey
Location: LaSalle County, 4 miles south of Interstate 80 or 1 mile south of Utica; south of Ill. Route 71 and west of Ill. Route 178.
Description: This site occupies 4503 acres. Approximately 500 acres are open to spring turkey hunting. The site is a combination of woodland, grasslands and agricultural ground. The terrain can be very steep & rugged. There is no off road vehicle access for the public.
Special Area Regulations
See # 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply
unless area regulations are more restrictive.
SPECIAL AREA REGULATIONS:
- Spring turkey hunting is allowed in two separate locations (approximately 250 acres each) on the site. One hunter per "Area" is allowed. No turkey hunting is allowed in nature preserves. See map for hunting and parking lot locations.
- No turkey hunting north of Rt. 71 from Area 2 (parking lots 24 & 25).
- All hunters must possess a site specific spring turkey permit for Starved Rock State Park for the specific season they are hunting on the site. Starved Rock spring turkey hunting permits are issued through the Springfield permit office as part of the regular permit lottery process.
- Prior to hunting all hunters are required to register at Matthiessen State Park check station. Each hunter must display a parking pass on the dashboard of their vehicle while hunting. Hunters must return their parking passes and immediately report their hunting efforts and harvest on the sheets provided.
- All statewide regulations as to weapon type, shot size etc. apply on this site.
- All turkeys taken on this site during the spring turkey season must be checked in / reported via the statewide telephone reporting system as outlined on your turkey hunting permit. Be sure to report your turkey as taken on a special hunt area (Starved Rock State Park) and not as harvested in LaSalle County. .
- Further restrictions or closures may exist at short notice. See regulations posted at the site before hunting.
IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL:
- To construct or use any stand, climbing device or accessory using nails, screws, or any device which pierces, cuts, or otherwise damages the bark of the tree on which it installed.
- To hunt or park in any area not designated as being open to hunting.
- To hunt with other than a shotgun during spring turkey season.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To possess weapons in the field except during hunting hours.
For further information contact: Site Superintendent: Starved Rock State Park, P.O. Box 509, Utica, IL 61373 Phone: 815/667-4726
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and
those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and
other agencies is available to all individuals
regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability,
age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you
believe you have been discriminated against, contact the
funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal
Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural
Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY