LOCATION: Snakeden Hollow office / check station is located one mile east of Victoria, IL on State Route 167.
DESCRIPTION: Total area - 2,497 acres. A history of strip mining in the area resulted in a diverse mix of grassland, wetlands, ponds, lakes, and ag fields which lends itself to the management of Giant Canada geese. This management is the primary objective at Snakeden Hollow.
PERMIT INFORMATION / APPLICATION available online at http://dnr.illinois.gov.
CHECK STATION REGULATIONS:
- Registration: Opening day thru Nov. 30 - all hunters must register by 5:00am. Dec. 1 thru Dec. 31 - all hunters must register by 5:30am. Jan. 1 thru season end - all hunters must register by 6:00am
- Permits are void after the draw begins. No one may register after draw time.
- Unfilled blinds may be filled until shooting time. There will be no refills.
- Hunters will choose their blinds as their name is drawn.
- Hunters must be at least 16 years old to draw for a blind.
- A $15 Daily Usage Stamp must be purchased by everyone 16 and older. Under 16 are not required to purchase a Daily Usage Stamp.
- All hunters must present a hunting license, or equivalent, at draw-time.
- One blind (G2) will be available by priority claim to disabled persons daily. Hunters must present an Illinois I.D. card showing a P2, P2a, H2, or H2a disability to establish priority.
- CLOSED TO HUNTING ON MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, AND DECEMBER 24, 25, & 26.
GENERAL SITE REGULATIONS:
- Season dates & bag limits are set by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - available in Sept.
- Hunting hours are one half hour before sunrise until 1:00 p.m.
- The legal hunting season is the Central Zone goose season. Duck hunting is allowed. The season and bag is the same as the Central Zone Duck season, except when the Central Zone Goose season is more restrictive.
- There is no early September goose hunting at Snakeden Hollow or Victoria PHA.
- Those hunting light geese after regular goose season must check in & out of box at office. Hunting will be from site blinds/pits only.
- Hunters are limited to ten (10) shotshells per day all season.
- Hunters must occupy the blind within one hour after shooting time.
- Only two hunters allowed per blind.
All pits are accessed by foot. Pits are brushed with camo cloth. Most pits are located in fields on the perimeter of the site. Several have water nearby, with three shooting over water. No motorized vehicles allowed beyond the parking lots. Blind trails are marked with arrows and reflectors. Hunters should bring at least a flashlight and suitable footgear for finding blinds in the dark in muddy fields. Hunters can and should bring their own decoys. Site decoys (23" shells) may be available for use, but site decoys are being phased out. At blinds A-4, B-2, C-1, and D-1, chest waders and/or a retrieving dog are recommended.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Snakeden Hollow F&WA, 1936 IL Rt. 167, Box 295, Victoria, IL 61485. Phone/Fax # (309) 879-2607.
An updated message is recorded daily during goose season. Late season hunters should be aware that local conditions can impact hunting success considerably.