LOCATION: Indian Creek Wildlife Management Area, located within Shabbona Lake State Park, is just south of US Route 30 and the Village of Shabbona. The check station is the Park Office. Take Shabbona Road south off Route 30 for 2 1/2 miles to Shabbona Grove Road then go east on Shabbona Grove Road for 1/2 mile to the Park Office entrance.
DESCRIPTION OF THE AREA: This is an area of approximately 1550 total acres, with 776 huntable acres that offer a variety of habitat types. Hunters will find areas of mature hardwoods interspersed with cultivated fields, pine plantations, sloughs and prairie.
||SPECIAL AREA REG'S (see below)|
||Noon - 5PM
||See #1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9 |
|Archery Deer and Turkey
||Statewide; See #7
||See #4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11|
All regulations` found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive. Dove hunters from Sept. 6 - Sept. 30 and all archery deer and turkey hunters must obtain a site windshield card on-line from www.dnr.illinois.gov. To do so, navigate to "hunting/trapping" and then "public hunting areas". and select "Print Windshield Card" tab under the "Upland/Forest Game" (and Dog Training) column. Complete all fields as necessary and print windshield card and accompanying pocket card. Your windshield card must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the windshield card number visible and the pocket card portion in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their annual harvest on line (even if you did not hunt) by February 15, 2018. Hunters shall forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the prescribed deadline.
Special Area Regulations:
- Sept. 1st through Sept. 5th, the daily quota of 60 hunters will be filled by a drawing. Registration will begin at 10:00 am and the drawing held at 11:00 am. Handicapped accessible hunting is available, contact the Park Office for details. Beginning Sept. 6th, sign in and sign out to hunt.
- Non-toxic only. Only #6 or smaller steel shot or #7 1/2 or smaller bismuth shot may be used.
- Hunters are required to check-in and check-out at the park office. A back patch must be worn when required. Please remove all trash, including empty shotgun shells, at the conclusion of your hunt.
- The quota of 29 hunters will be determined on a first- come/first served basis. Sign-in begins at 5:00 AM. Site quota is 29 TOTAL (deer and turkey hunters combined) at any one time.
- All hunters are required to sign-in prior to hunting, and to sign-out and report harvest immediately upon leaving their designated hunting area.
- The site is divided into hunting zones. Hunters may only hunt in the zone they are signed in for and must park in the lot designated for that zone.
- Archery deer and turkey hunting will remain open on this site during the statewide firearm deer season and muzzleloader season. During this time archery hunters must wear the same blaze orange clothes as required for gun deer hunters.
- Handicapped accessible hunting available.
- Further restrictions may exist. See regulations posted at the site before hunting.
- BLAZE ORANGE CLOTHING REQUIREMENTS: All archery hunters must comply with blaze orange clothing requirements during the shotgun deer season, muzzle loader deer season, youth deer hunting season and any other special seasons that may be announced by the Department. Specific requirements are to be found in the "Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations."
- Submission of ALL DEER HEADS along with corresponding harvest information is required within 48 hours of harvest to test for the presence of Chronic Wasting Disease.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- It shall be unlawful to construct or to use any type of tree stand, screw-in steps, spikes, cleats, ladder, climbing aids, etc. using nails, screws, wire, or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree. Stands must be portable and must be removed from the site at the end of each day's hunt. Only one stand per person is allowed. Trees, shrubs, brush, etc. may not be removed, trimmed, broken, etc. to place stand or to clear shooting lanes.
- To hunt in any area not designated as being open to hunting or to hunt off IDNR property.
- To park anywhere on the site except in the designated parking lots or for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To engage in "driving" deer for the purpose of hunting on any IDNR site.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Shabbona Lake State Park, 4201 Shabbona Grove Rd., Shabbona, Il., 60550 (815-824-2106)