Description: The Sand Prairie Habitat Area was purchased with a combination of revenues generated through the sale of the Illinois Pheasant Stamp and with Natural Areas Acquisition money. This area will be managed to develop and restore the existing high quality natural areas and to provide hunting opportunity for Illinois Sportsmen.
Location: The Sand Prairie Habitat Area is comprised of 316 acres located in extreme southwest Lee County, 4.5 miles north and one mile west of Walnut on the Whiteside County line. Except for a small area around the parking lot, the entire area is open to hunting. Cover types include native prairie on the rolling sand hills interspersed with fields of established native grasses and domestic grass-legumes along with wildlife food patches, sunflower fields, and agricultural crops. Several small wildlife ponds and wetlands are also scattered across the site.summer of 2015.
||Sept. 1 - 5
||12 N - 5PM
||See #1, 3, 4, 9|
||Sept. 6 - 30
||See #2, 3, 4, 9|
|Pheasant , Quail & Rabbit
||See # 7
||See #4, 5, 6, 8, 9|
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive. Dove hunters from Sept. 6 - Sept 30th must obtain a site windshield card online from www.dnr.illinois.gov. To do so navigate to "hunting/trapping" and then "public hunting areas". Proceed to "Windshield Card for Public Hunting Areas" and select "Print Windshield Card" tab under the "Upland/Forest Game (and Dog Training ) column. Complete all fields as necessary and print Windshield Card and accompanying pocket card. Your windshield card must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the windshield card number visible and the pocket card portion in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their annual harvest Online (even if you did not hunt) by February 15, 2020. Hunters shall forfeit hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the prescribed deadline.
Special Area Regulations:
- Managed as part of the Green River State Wildlife Area program - permit required first five days of season. Check-in-time: 10:00 AM - 11:00AM
- Sign in, sign out and reporting of harvest is required at the registration box located in site parking lot. Hunter quota is 20 hunters at one time.
- Only non toxic shot (no lead shot) may be possessed when dove hunting on this site. The non toxic shot must be #6, or smaller steel shot; or #7 1/2 or smaller bismuth shot.
- All hunting must be with shotgun or bow and arrow (For upland game, flu - flu arrows only and no broadheads).
- Hunters must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- Hunting by permit only. Special permits are allocated by the Department of Natural Resources Springfield Permit Office. Dates to submit permit applications for the drawing will be publicly announced. Further information can be found in the Illinois Hunting Digest or by contacting 217/782-6384. One permit will be issued for each hunting date listed below. Each permit holder may be accompanied by up to 5 hunting partners, allowing for a maximum of 6 hunters per day.
- 2019 Free Permit Hunting Dates: November 2, 3, 6, 9, 13, 16, 20, 23, 27, 30; and December 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, and 22.
- Each permit holder must complete and return a hunter harvest survey report to the Department of Natural Resources by February 15, 2020. Failure to submit the report will result in loss of hunting privileges on pheasant habitat areas for the following year.
- Further restrictions may exist. See regulations posted at the site before hunting.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- To hunt in any area not designated as being open to hunting or to hunt off IDNR property.
- To park anywhere on the site except in the designated parking lots or for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- To hunt with anything other than a shotgun or bow and arrow.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Green River State Wildlife Area; 375 Game Rd.; Harmon, IL. 61042 (815) 379-2324