Location: 2 miles northeast of Newton, Illinois, just east of IL 130 & IL 33 Jct.
Total Acres: 1,172 (including 183 acre lake) Huntable Acres: 840 (includes seasonal closures of selected day use areas)
Timber: 296 Cropland: 259 Open, non-cultivated: 189 Brushy Fields: 238 Ponds/Wetland/Lake: 190
The area is generally rolling, with the more or less flat areas being cultivated or occupied in weedy, brushy fields. Those areas being cropped are farmed to provide an abundance of good quality food for wildlife and to improve wildlife habitat. These fields are located along the east and west sides of the area. Most of the perimeter of the area is presently planted to shrubs. The timber is mainly mature oak-hickory type and of excellent quality.
Legal Game Species:
Deer Squirrel Quail Rabbit Turkey Dove Woodcock Raccoon Opossum
This area is known for its particularly good dove hunting. Quail and rabbit numbers are good as well. Due to the brushy nature of this site, close working bird dogs (or rabbit dogs) will improve the hunters' chance of taking game. Squirrel hunting is excellent, but is not receiving much pressure. Deer are seen on a more or less regular basis, though deer hunting is just now gaining popularity here. Night hunting for furbearers and wild turkey hunting have been added in recently.
Other Facilities Available: Fishing and boating (10 h.p. maximum); Picnic areas; Hiking; Tent Camping; Back-pack Camping; Wheeled Campground with gravel pads; Sanitary Dump Station for Trailers; Equestrian Trail
Statewide rules and regulations apply at this site, unless otherwise specified. Hunting is permitted in those areas posted as open to hunting. Restricted areas are clearly marked by signs. Hunting will be permitted in selected day use areas beginning November 15 annually.
- Hunters must register at the park office and return at the end of their hunt to complete the harvest survey. All hunters except squirrel, archery deer, and Spring and Fall Shotgun Turkey hunters must leave their license and wear a back patch secured at the check station while hunting on this area. Squirrel and archery deer hunters must sign-in/out on a clipboard fastened to the office door, but are not required to leave their license or wear a back patch. Spring and Fall Shotgun Turkey hunters must apply for a site specific permit in the statewide lottery. Successful applicants will be mailed a Turkey Harvest Report to be returned at season's end. Spring and Fall shotgun Turkey hunters need not check-in/out, leave license, or wear a back patch.
- Hunters must park in designated parking areas only. No off-road vehicle use allowed.
- All hunting is to be done with shotgun or bow and arrow only. No rifles, handguns or shotgun slugs are permitted.
- Archery Deer hunting continues during the statewide Firearm Deer hunting season. .
- Blaze orange is required while upland game hunting and during firearm deer season.
- Dove hunters are required to use only non-toxic, #6 steel, or #7 1/2 bismuth, or smaller shot. Hunting hours are 12 noon to 5 pm in September.
- Construction and use of permanent tree stands is prohibited. Portable stands may be used for hunting and may be left unattended overnight during the period September 15 through January 31. Each stand must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number when left unattended overnight. Only one stand is allowed per hunter. No screw-in steps allowed.
- Windshield Cards are required for night hunting for furbearers. These are available online at www.dnr.illinois.gov. Navigate to "hunting/trapping: and then "public hunting areas" to print these permits. Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information. Failure to submit data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Trapping is allowed by site drawing only. Contact office for details.
For further information, contact Site Superintendent, Sam Parr State Park, 13225E State Highway 33, Newton, IL 62448, phone: 618/783-2661; or District Wildlife Biologist, 1231 South West St. P.O. Box 313, Olney, IL 62450. 618/393-6732.