LOCATION: This site is located 6 miles south of Pinckneyville off state Highway 127, then 2 miles west on Pyatts Blacktop in Perry County, Illinois.
DESCRIPTION: Total Acres: 3,181 Huntable Acres: 2,754 Habitat Type Acres: Timber 2,217 - Cropland/Old Field 564 - Lakes 400
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES: Deer Dove Woodcock Turkey Rabbit Furbearers Squirrel Quail Waterfowl
The expansion of Pyramid State Park consisted of four land acquisitions totaling 16,245 acres from Ark Land Company on October 1, 2001. This acquisition was the largest ever made by the Department of Natural Resources and resulted in the largest state park in Illinois totaling 19,015 acres. Pyramid State Park consists of five separate management units. They are: Pyramid State Park (3,181 acres), Captain Unit (6,105 acres), Denmark Unit (4,385 acres), East Conant Unit (2,824 acres) and Galum Unit (2,520 acres).
Pyramid State Park consists of heavily forested hills interspersed with numerous lakes and ponds. The majority of the area was previously strip mined for a shallow vein of coal. Approximately 400 acres of water form lakes varying in size from 0.1 acres to 24 acres. All of the strip mined area has been replanted to hardwoods and pines with small fields planted to food plots. Fishing and boating are allowed on lakes with a 10 h.p. maximum limit. A small campground with gravel pads, tables, fire grills, dump station and picnic shelter is available.
SITE SPECIFIC REGULATIONS:
- Hunters are advised that "windshield cards" are required to hunt all species which are available from the IDNR homepage - www.dnr.illinois.gov. Navigate to "hunting/trapping", then "public hunting areas", select Region 5 to print these permits. ALL hunters are required to have a state hunting permit. Hunters are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Hunters must maintain accurate records of each hunt.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree which it is installed. Tree stands which are used for deer hunting must be removed from the area at the end of each day's hunt.
- Firearm deer hunters, muzzle-loader deer hunters and firearm turkey hunters (spring & fall) must apply for a site specific permit to hunt the area which is available from the permit office through the statewide lottery. Muzzleloader deer hunting is open to hunters possessing a Perry County muzzleloader permit.
- This site has been designated as a Quality Deer Management Area beginning with the 2002 hunting season. Therefore, antlerless deer or antlered deer having at least four points on a side may be taken. This applies to all deer hunting (firearm, muzzleloader and archery). Site is closed for Late Winter Antlerless Only Season 2014-2015
- All upland game hunters engaged in quail or rabbit hunting must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange or at least 400 square inches.
- Dove hunting hours are 12 noon - 5 p.m. Hunters must participate in a daily lottery at 11:00 am at the Galum Unit office September 1 - 5 to hunter over sunflower or wheat fields. No dove hunting is allowed September 1 - 5 within 200 yards of a designated dove management field, except for hunters who are part of the hunter quota for that field.
- No waterfowl hunting in park.
- Squirrel hunting season dates shall be the day after labor day through the end of statewide season.
- No furbearer hunting allowed in park.
- Furbearer trapping allowed under special permit from site.
- This Unit is open for Youth Only firearm deer hunting.
- Statewide regulations apply, unless otherwise specified.
For further information, contact: Pyramid State Park - 1562 Pyramid Park Road, Pinckneyville, IL 62274 (618/357-2574).