LOCATION: This site is located 4 miles east of Cutler on Panda Bear Road in Perry County, Illinois
DESCRIPTION:The Galum Unit is one of five management units that comprise Pyramid State Park. The reclaimed surface stripmine property was purchased from Ark Land Company on September 28, 2001. The area is dominated by large grasslands, eight cropfields, four lakes, small wetlands and a forest corridor along Galum Creek. The site is open to deer, squirrel, dove, waterfowl, rabbit and quail hunting by permit only. Hunter quotas and other site specific restrictions are in effect to improve the quality of the hunting experience. Total Acres: 2,520, Huntable Acres: 2,520.
Habitat Type Acres: Cropfields 455, Timber 100, Grasslands 1665, Lakes/Wetlands 300.
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES: Deer, Rabbit, Woodcock, Squirrel, Quail, Furbearers, Dove, Waterfowl, Turkey (Spring Firearm Only)
SITE SPECIFIC REGULATIONS:
- Hunters are advised that "windshield cards" are required to hunt all species which are available from the IDNR homepage - dnr2.illinois.gov/Windshieldcard. Navigate to "hunting/trapping", then "public hunting areas", select Region 5 to print these permits. ALL hunters are required to have a state hunting permit. Hunters are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Hunters must maintain accurate records of each hunt.
- The area has been designated as a Quality Deer Management Area. Only antlerless deer or antlered deer having at least four points on a side may be taken. This applies to all deer hunting (firearm and archery).
- Firearm deer hunters and spring turkey hunters must apply to the permit office in Springfield for a site specific permit which is available through the statewide lottery.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree which it was installed. Tree stands which are used for deer hunting must be removed from the area at the end of each day's hunt.
- All upland game hunters engaged in quail and rabbit hunting must wear a cap and outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- Dove hunting hours are 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. from September 1 - 5, with statewide regulations thereafter. Non-toxic shot no larger than 6 may be used. Unsuccessful lottery participants and other hunters not participating in the lottery drawing may not hunt within 200 yards of sunflower or wheat fields September 1 - 5.
- A daily lottery will be conducted for staked waterfowl locations during duck season only at the Galum Unit Office beginning at 4:30 a.m. in November, 5:00 a.m. in December, and 5:30 a.m. in January. Minimum of 12 decoys; no more than 4 hunters per party; a hunters name may only appear on one lottery card; after duck season is closed, hunters may not possess more than 5 shot shells for every Canada goose allowed in the daily bag. Shooting hours are legal opening to 1:00 pm. Hunters not participating in the daily draw must be 200 yards from the next hunting party. Waterfowl hunters not participating in the daily lottery may not access Pyramid State Park property until 4:30 a.m. in November, 5:00 a.m. in December and 5:30 a.m. in January. Waterfowl hunters may not hunt on main lakes with staked locations. Hunters may hunt in cropfields and wetlands which have not been staked, however they must be a minimum of 200 yards from the nearest staked location. No September Canada goose hunting will be allowed. The area is closed to all waterfowl hunting on Mondays.
- Squirrel hunters may use .22 caliber rimfire firearms or muzzleloading black powder rifles.
- Youth Waterfowl season is held the weekend preceding the South Central Zone duck opener.
- Furbearer trapping/hunting must have site permit. Only egg traps, D-P traps, box traps, cage traps and traps of similar design may be used for land sets. Body gripping traps with a 10-inch jaw spread or larger must be submerged.
- Statewide regulations apply, unless otherwise specified.
- This Unit is open for late winter antlerless only firearm deer hunting, when Perry County is open.
- This Unit is open for Youth Only firearm deer hunting.
For further information or to obtain a site permit, contact: Pyramid State Park, 1562 Pyramid Park Road, Pinckneyville, IL 62274 (618/357-2574).