LOCATION: This site is located 6 miles south of Pinckneyville off Hwy 127, west 3 miles on Galum Church Road in Perry County, Illinois
DESCRIPTION: The East Conant Unit is one of five management units that comprise Pyramid State Park. The unmined property was purchased from Ark Land Company on August 15, 2000. The area is dominated by large crop fields which are interspersed with fencerows and two large blocks of forest. The site is open to deer, turkey, squirrel, dove, waterfowl, rabbit, quail, furbearer hunting by permit only. Hunter quotas and other site specific restrictions are in effect to improve the quality of the hunting experience. Total Acres: 2,824 Huntable Acres: 2,824 Habitat Type Acres: Cropfields 1,763, Timber 928; Grasslands 133.
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES: Deer, Rabbit, Woodcock, Squirrel, Quail, Furbearers, Turkey, Dove, Waterfowl,
SITE SPECIFIC REGULATIONS:
- Hunters are advised that "windshield cards" are required to hunt all species which are available from the IDNR homepage - dnr2.illinois.gov/Windshieldcard. Navigate to "hunting/trapping", then "public hunting areas", select Region 5 to print these permits. ALL hunters are required to have a state hunting permit. Hunters are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Hunters must maintain accurate records of each hunt.
- The area has been designated as a Quality Deer Management Area. Only antlerless deer or antlered deer having at least four points on a side may be taken. This applies to all deer hunting (firearm, muzzle-loader, and archery).
- Firearm deer hunters and firearm turkey hunters (spring & fall) must apply to the permit office in Springfield for a site specific permit which is available through the statewide lottery. Muzzleloader deer hunting allowed by county permit during second firearm season and muzzleloader season. Site is closed for late winter antlerless only season.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree which it was installed. Tree stands which are used for deer hunting must be removed from the area at the end of each day's hunt.
- Quail and rabbit hunters must apply for a Free Upland Game Permit issued by statewide lottery from the permit office. All applications must be made via the internet accessible at www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/uplandgame through August 31. Applicants may apply only once and receive one permit per year. Each permittee will be allowed to bring up to 2 hunting partners.
- All upland game hunters engaged in quail and rabbit hunting must wear a cap and outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- Dove hunting hours are 12:00 noon - 5:00 pm., hunters must participate in a daily lottery at 11:00 am at the Galum Unit Office September 1 - 5 to hunt over sunflower or wheat fields. Statewide regulations thereafter. Non-toxic shot size number 6 or smaller must be used. Unsuccessful lottery participants and other hunters not participating in the lottery drawing may not hunt within 200 yards of sunflower or wheat fields September 1 - 5.
- Squirrel hunters may use a .22 caliber rimfire firearms or muzzleloading black powder rifles.
- Turkey hunters must apply through permit office for site specific permit.
- Waterfowl hunters not participating in the daily lottery may not access Pyramid State Park Property until 4:30 am in November, 5:00 am in December, and 5:30 am in January. Minimum of 12 decoys; no more than 4 hunters per party; a hunter's name may only appear on one lottery card; after duck season is closed, hunters may not possess more than 5 shot shells for every Canada goose allowed in the daily bag. Shooting hours are legal opening to 1:00 pm. Minimum of 200 yards between hunting parties. No September Canada goose hunting will be allowed. The area is closed to waterfowl hunting on Mondays.
- Youth Waterfowl season is held the weekend preceding the South Central Zone duck opener.
- Furbearer trapping/hunting must have site permit. Only egg traps, D-P traps, cage traps and traps of similar design may be used for land sets. Body gripping traps with a 10-inch jaw spread or larger must be submerged.
- This Unit is open for Youth Only firearm deer hunting.
- Statewide regulations apply, unless otherwise specified.
For further information or to obtain a site permit, contact: Pyramid State Park, 1562 Pyramid Park Road, Pinckneyville, IL 62274 (618/357-2574).