Location: Whiteside County, 2 miles north of Morrison, east of IL Rt. 78 North.
Description: Total Acres: 1152 Huntable Acres: Deer (Archery/Firearm) - 950; Dove - 10, Squirrel - 900
The hunting area is comprised of timber woodlots, brushy draws, and fence lines interspersed with open grasslands with corn, milo, and sunflower food patches. Topography consists of gently rolling hills with several gullies of which some contain permanent water.
Available Game Species:
|12N - 5pm
|See site map for restricted areas. Shot size limit.|
||November 1st through
Thursday before 1st firearm deer season
||Shot size limit. See site map for restricted areas.|
1st 4 segments of statewide season
Site specific permit required. See the site map for restricted areas.
||Open the day following the close of the 1st firearm deer season then follows statewide regulations to the end of season.
||First segment of the firearm deer season only.
||Daily hunter quota - 25. |
Special permit required.
- All regulations found in the IL Game Code, Federal Regulations and Administrative Order will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- For any person to construct or to use any tree stand using nails, screws, wire, or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it is installed. All tree stand used must be portable but can be left up for the season as long as it is labeled with the owner's name, address and phone number. Stands must be removed by 2 weeks post season.
- For any person to possess or consume any alcoholic beverage, including beer and wine, while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To hunt in any area not designated as open to hunting.
- For any person to park except at a designated parking area.
- To be in the hunting zone during open season if your are not hunting.
- To uncase a bow or firearm prior to entering the hunting area(s).
- Hunting with shotgun only. Shot size restricted to #�s 7 1/2, 8, or 9 lead OR #6 steel.
- All hunters are required to sign in and out at the designated hunter check station.
- Hunter quota assigned via a drawing at the parking lot/ check station starting at ll:00AM daily. Max. hunters - 30.
- Firearm deer hunters can obtain a site specific permit, which will be issued through the Permit Office in Springfield; 25 permits will be issued. Permits valid for Whiteside Co. will not be valid at Morrison Rockwood State Park.
- Permit holders are required to check-in and deposit their hunting license by 5:00AM each morning or they will lose their permit to the daily drawing of standby hunters.
- If the hunter quota is not filled each day of the firearm season, it will be filled by a daily drawing held at the area check station beginning at 5:00AM.
- Standby hunters must purchase a site specific daily permit ($5.00), and may only hunt on the day they were selected.
- Hunting shall be with either shotgun or muzzle loader only, according to statewide regulations.
- Squirrel hunters must sign-in and sign-out at check-in areas.
- Shotguns; #3 or smaller steel, # 5 or smaller for lead, tungsten or bismuth , 22 rimfire rifles, muzzeloading black powder rifles and archery tackle using flu-flu arrows are permitted for squirrel hunting.
- Only zones 1,2,3,4 and 5 (see site map) are open to squirrel hunting.
- Site will be closed to archery hunting Nov 1st thru the end of the 1st firearm deer season AND during the 2nd segment of the firearm deer season.
- No special permit is needed; however, archery hunters must register with name and date prior to hunting and sign out and record their harvest at the designated zone check station(s) upon completion of the hunt.
- Tree stands can be setup beginning September 15th and left until the end of the statewide Archery Deer season provided that the hunters name and address are labeled and affixed to the stand(s).
- Site will be open for the 1st four segments of the spring turkey season only (no 5th season). Site specific permits will be issued thru statewide lottery at the Springfield Permit Office.
- Hunters are required to sign-in and sign-out at designated locations and site will be divided in 6 hunting zones with no more than 2 permit hunters per zone. 12 permits per season (See site turkey hunting map).
- Hunters can accompanied by 1 additional non-hunter.
For further information contact; Site Superintendent, Morrison Rockwood State Park, 18750 Lake Rd., Morrison, IL 61270; Telephone: (815) 772-4708.