LOCATION: Ogle cnty.- 2.5 miles So. of IL Hwy. 64 on Daysville Rd. to Lowden Rd. Take Lowden Rd. 1.5 miles to Nashua Rd
DESCRIPTION: Huntable acres: squirrel - approximately 800; deer & turkey - approx. 2,225. The area is composed of gently rolling to steep ridges and draws covered with native hardwoods interspersed with pine plantations.
||Specific Hunting Area- See Map & (1 & 2) Below|
|Deer - Archery
||10/1/16 - 1/12/17
||* See season & clothing restrictions (1) 1`& (5)below|
|Turkey - Archery
||10/01/16 - 1/12/17
||*See season & clothing restrictions (1) below|
|Deer - Firearm
||1st: Nov 18-20, 2016
2nd: Dec 1 -4, 2016
||* Site specific or Countywide permit required - see (3) & (4) below|
|Deer - CWD Season
||12/29/16 -1/14/17 &
1/13/17 - 1/15/17
||40 Hunters at one time. See (3) & (4) below. |
||Site Specific permit required - see # 3 & 4 below. |
(1) Archery deer and turkey hunting will be closed during all of the firearm deer seasons. Archery deer and turkey hunting are open during the muzzle loader season; however, hunters must wear the same blaze orange clothing as that required for muzzle loader deer hunters
(2) Squirrel Hunting is restricted to the south end of the site only- see map for hunting area & restricted area(s).
(3) Restricted Area: No firearm hunting (deer, squirrel or turkey) allowed in the restricted area adjacent to the Boy Scout Camp. The area is clearly marked on the map and is posted with signs. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE & stay out of this area.
(4) Hunters must possess either a permit issued specifically for Lowden-Miller State Forest for the season they are hunting, to hunt on this site.
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive. Hunters must obtain a site windshield card online from www.dnr.illinois.gov. To do so, navigate to "hunting/trapping" and then "public hunting areas". Proceed to "Windshield Card for Public Hunting Areas" and select "PRINT Windshield Card" tab under the "Upland/Forest Game (and Dog Training" column. Complete all fields as necessary and print the Windshield Card and accompanying pocket card. Your windshield card) must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the windshield card number visible and the pocket card portion in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their harvest (even if you did not hunt) by February 15, 2017. Hunters shall forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the prescribed deadline.
IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL:
- To construct or to use any tree stand using nails, screws, wire or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it is installed. Tree stands must be portable and may be left unattended from Sept. 15 through Jan. 31. Stands left on site must be labeled with the hunter's name, address & phone number. Only one stand per permit holder is allowed.
- To be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while on the property for the purpose of hunting.
- To hunt in any area not designated as open to hunting.
- For any person to park except in designated parking areas; or, for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- To enter on to private property to track any wounded deer or turkey without first obtaining permission from the landowner.
- For any person to drive deer, or participate in a deer drive, at any time (includes all firearm, muzzle loader, and archery deer seasons).
- To place or use any bait, attractant, lure, etc. that may be licked or ingested, etc; or use any item that generates heat.
AREA REGULATIONS - SQUIRREL, ARCHERY DEER AND ARCHERY TURKEY HUNTING:
- Squirrel hunting is with shotgun, .22 rimfire firearms, or muzzleloading black powder rifles, bow and arrow or air rifles only.
- Squirrel hunters must park in lots 4, 5, or 6. Squirrel hunting is restricted to the south portion of the site only -
NOTE: See map for parking lot locations, hunting area and the location of the restricted "No Firearm Hunting Area".
- Sleeping overnight in vehicles is not allowed.
- Submission os ALL archery harvested deer heads along with corresponding harvest information is required within 48 hours of harvest to test for the presence of Chronic Wasting Disease.
AREA REGULATIONS - DEER FIREARM & CWD SEASONS:
- Hunters may apply by selecting Lowden - Miller State Forest as the choice of hunting area on their Firearm Deer Permit application. Applications are submitted to, and processed by, the Springfield Permit Office. 75 permits will be issued for each of the two firearm seasons.
- Hunters with Lowden - Miller Firearm Deer permits must check in (at the former Sinnissippi Tree Farm Office - approximately 3 miles south of Rt. 64 on the west side of Daysville Rd.) by 5:00 am or their permit is invalid for that day. Firearm deer hunting is allowed with any type of weapon that is legal for statewide deer hunting during the specific season you are hunting. Any vacancies remaining at 5:00 am will be filled at that time by a drawing to allocate stand- by permits.
- Site-specific CWD Season permits may be applied for online at http://www.dnr.illinois.gov. The application period will be announced. A public announcement will be made as to whether unallocated permits will be available for sale over-the-counter from participating vendors. A maximum of 40 antlerless only permits will be sold for the entire season and unfilled permits from any other season will not be valid. Stand-by permits will not be available. Hunters with a site specific permit must sign in/out on the clipboards at the Lowden-Miller State Forest Parking Lots. Hunters may sitn into any available parking lot/area on a first-come/first served basis.
- All deer harvested must be checked-in / on clipboards at the site when checking out AND checked-in / reported as outlined in the statewide rules and regulations for reporting deer harvested during the regular statewide seasons and CWD seasons.
AREA REGULATIONS - ALL SEASONS:
All flagging tapes, marking ribbons, and tree stands must be removed by Feb. 1st, 2017
For more information contact: Castle Rock State Park, 1365 W. Castle Rd., Oregon, Il. 61061. (815) 732-7329.
NOTE: HIKERS MAY USE THE TRAILS DURING THE SQUIRREL & ARCHERY HUNTING SEASONS. BOY SCOUTS MAY BE HIKING THE RIVER TRAIL ON WEEKENDS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF EACH OTHER.