LOCATION: This site is located 7 miles northwest of Murphysboro in Jackson County, Illinois, and 100 miles southeast of St. Louis, Missouri. Boat launch and marina facilities are located 5 miles west of Murphysboro adjacent to Route 149 and 2 miles south of Ava on Route 151 (boat launch only).
DESCRIPTION: Total Acres: 5850
Huntable Acres: 3100
Habitat Type Acres: Timber - 2740 Oldfield - 260 Foodplot - 100 Lake - 2,750
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES:
Deer Dove Furbearers Turkey Quail Waterfowl Squirrel Rabbit Woodcock
The area is dominated by oak-hickory forest interspersed with small fields which are managed for food plots, cool/native warm season grasses and legumes.
OTHER FACILITIES: Camping and picnic facilities are available on adjacent properties owned and managed by the US Forest Service or Kinkaid-Reed�s Creek Conservancy District. Lake Murphysboro State Park comprises single campsites, group campsites, shelters with picnic areas and tables/stoves, drinking water, concession stand and 2 lakes totaling 245 and 6 acres in size.
SITE SPECIFIC REGULATIONS:
1. All hunters must sign in/out and report their harvest at hunter registration boxes when hunting on state lands.
2. All motorized vehicles must remain on roads or in access areas.
3. No permanent blinds or pits may be dug or constructed. All blinds must be portable or established with natural vegetation and must be removed or dismantled at the end of each day's hunt. Cutting of live vegetation on the area is illegal.
4. It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it is installed. Tree stands that are used for hunting deer must be legibly marked with the owner�s name, address and telephone number when left unattended. Tree stands may be left unattended only from September 15 - January 31. Only one tree stand per hunter.
5. All upland game hunters engaged in quail and rabbit hunting must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
6. Dove hunting hours are 12 noon - 5:00 p.m. September 1 - 5 and statewide regulations thereafter. Shot sizes are restricted to 71/2 lead or 6 steel - bismuth or smaller.
7. Youth Waterfowl season is held the weekend preceding the South Central Zone duck opener.
8. Statewide regulations apply, unless otherwise specified.
For further information, contact: Kinkaid Lake Fish & Wildlife Area - Lake Murphysboro State Park - 52 Cinder Hill Drive, Murphysboro, IL 62966 (618/684-2867); US Forest Service - District Ranger 2221 Walnut St., Murphysboro, IL 62966 (618/687-1731); Kinkaid-Reed�s Creek Conservancy District - 1763 Waterplant Road Murphysboro, IL 62966 (618/687-2951).