NAME: Hindsboro Pheasant Habitat Area
LOCATION: approximately 3 miles east and 3/4 miles north of Hindsboro off of Illinois Rt. 133
DESCRIPTION OF THE AREA:
|TOTAL ACRES: 90
||OPEN ACRES: 75|
|HUNTABLE ACRES: 88
||TIMBERED ACRES: 15|
|Pheasants, Rabbit, Quail
Hunting will be permitted on the first and second day of the statewide upland game season and on each subsequent Wednesday and Saturday in November and on each Thursday and Sunday in December, through December 24th.
||Free Upland Game Permit Required|
||Statewide trapping season
||Free Site Hunting Permit|
||October 1 - October 31st
Free Site Hunting Permit
Antlered deer only Oct. 1-15.
||August 1 - September 30
||Free Site Hunting Permit |
OTHER SPECIAL REGULATIONS:
Upland Game Hunters:
- A Free Upland Game Permit Application must be submitted online for a lottery drawing to be held in August. The application is available at www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/uplandgame. Hunters will be required to return their harvest card prior to February 15th each year. Failure to submit the card will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- APPLICANTS MAY SUBMIT ONLY ONE APPLICATION PER SITE.
- Only one hunting party, consisting of the permit holder and no more than 3 companions, will be allowed each day .
- All hunting must be with a shotgun or bow and arrow only.
- Hunters must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid blaze orange (at least 400 square inches).
Archery Deer Hunters:
- Only antlered deer may be harvested Oct. 1-15. Antlerless deer may be harvested beginning October 16th.
- All hunters must park in the designated parking lot.
- Archery deer hunting will be allowed October 1 - October 31. Firearm deer hunting is not permitted at this site.
- Deer hunters must use portable stands and remove the stands at the end of each days hunt. Screw-in steps, nails, spikes, and other bark-piercing devices are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Only one ground blind or tree stand is allowed per deer permit holder. The name and address or windshield card number must be affixed to the tree stand or ground blind.
- Free Site Hunting Permits (windshield cards) are required for species noted. These are available online at www.dnr.illinois.gov. Navigate to "Hunting/Trapping" and then "public hunting areas" to print these permits. Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information. For Free Upland Game Permit areas, a Free Upland Game Permit Application must be submitted online for a lottery drawing to be held in August. The application is available at www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/uplandgame. Hunters will be required to return their harvest card prior to February 15th each year. Failure to submit data/card will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Trappers must use only Egg Traps, D-P (Dog-Proof) Traps, box traps, cage traps, and traps of similar design for land sets.
- Traps must be clearly marked with owners name and address and must be checked daily.
- Trappers must possess at free site hunting permit and report harvest.
NOTE: Habitat restoration is on-going on this area. These activities are designed to improve wildlife habitat.
For further information, contact: Walnut Point State Park at 217-346-3336. For general information about hunting regulations and applications please click here.