Location: Bureau County: 4 miles northeast of Sheffield, 1 mile south of I-80, west of Route 40.
Description: Spread over a length of about 100 miles, the Hennepin Canal, along with the Feeder Canal, provides 5,348 acres of recreational opportunity. The dove hunting is available at the Main Complex area where the Visitor Center is located. The Main Complex consists of 400 acres, 32 of which are managed for dove hunting.
||Special Area Regulations (See below)|
|Noon - 5:00 PM
||See #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9|
||Sunrise - Sunset
||See #1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9|
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
Special Area Regulations:
- Hunting is restricted to only those areas designated as open to hunting. The number of hunters allowed in the field at any one time is restricted to announced hunter quotas.
- Hunters shall check in at the area check station.
- Daily quotas will be filled by a daily drawing to be held at 11:00 AM.
- Hunters will be issued a back patch at the check station which must be displayed at all times while on the area.
- Hunting is allowed only from the perimeter of the field within 10 feet of a numbered stake.
- Hunters must sign in & out and report kill at registration box.
- Hunting allowed with shotgun only.
- Only non-toxic shot (as defined by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 50 CFR 20), #6 steel shot or #7 bismuth shot or smaller, may be possessed.
- Further restrictions may exist. See posted regulations before hunting.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To park other than in designed parking areas.
- To be in the hunting area during the first 5 days of the season if you are not hunting.
- To possess an uncased or loaded shotgun outside of the hunting area.
- To light or use an open fire within the hunting area.
- To hunt at the area if the Site Superintendent or his authorized representative determine and announce that conditions are unsafe and have posted the area accordingly.
- To hunt on this area without first declaring game killed on a previous hunt; either on the hunter's person or in his vehicle.
Other facilities / activities available: Hiking, fishing, picnicking, snowmobiling, equestrian trail, bird watching, bicycling, boating, canoeing, cross country skiing, ice skating.
For further information contact: Hennepin Canal State Trail; 16006 875 E. Street; Sheffield, IL 61361 Phone: 815-454-2328