Location: Approximately 8 miles east of McLeansboro, Illinois off of State Highway 14
Description: Total Acres: 1,674
Huntable Acres: 1,530 Water Acres: 75 Timber Acres: 230 Open, cultivated, or fallow field acres: 1,300
The area is one of gently rolling topography. Most of the hunting area is small, open fields bordered by heavy fencerows, border plantings of shrubs, small trees, pines, and small patches of brush and timber. This area provides good upland hunting with an abundance of quality food and cover. The area also provides excellent opportunities for Deer and Turkey hunters.
Available Game Species:
Deer Squirrel Quail Turkey Rabbit Dove Woodcock Crow Furbearers
Other Facilities Available: Large picnic areas with tables and fireplaces, restaurant, fishing and boating on the lake, camping area with gravel pads, electricity, sanitary station for trailers, shower building, and rental cabins.
- Hunting is restricted to those areas posted as open to hunting. Hunters must park in the designated areas only.
- In addition to having appropriate licenses, stamps, and species permits, all hunters must obtain a Windshield Card. These cards are available online at https://dnr2.illinois.gov/windshieldcard/ . Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information. Failure to submit data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- The Windshield Card must be displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle used while hunting at the Site. Hunters must park in designated areas. No off-road vehicle use is allowed.
- Construction and use of permanent tree stands is prohibited. Portable stands may be used for hunting and may be left unattended overnight during the period September 15 through January 31. Each stand must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number when left unattended. Only one stand is allowed per hunter. No screw-in steps allowed.
- Deer hunting shall be done with shotgun, bow and arrow, muzzle-loading rifles, or legal handguns.
For further information, contact Site Superintendent, Hamilton County State Fish & Wildlife Area, 102 Park Office Rd., McLeansboro, IL 62859, phone: 618/773-4340; or District Wildlife Biologist, 13999 E. Game-Farm Rd., Mt. Vernon, IL 62864, phone: 618/242-2062.