NAME: Fort Massac State Park
LOCATION: Metropolis, Illinois, in Massac County
Total Acres: 1450 Huntable acres: 1287
Open Land Acres: 115 Timber Acres: 520
The hunting area lies in two parcels. The first is just east of Metropolis and adjacent to the camping area. Archery Deer Hunting Only is allowed in the Nature Preserve. The second area is further southeast on Strawberry Road. Both areas are located along the Ohio River are are comprised of mature hardwood forests with legume-grain plots and old fields for wildlife.
MOST PREVALENT GAME SPECIES:
Squirrel Deer Rabbit Dove Wild Turkey
- Hunting is restricted to areas posted as open to hunting.
- All hunters must register with the windshield card program before hunting. Hunters are advised that windshield cards to hunt all species are now ONLY available online from the IDNR homepage at https://dnr2.illinois.gov/windshieldcard/. Navigate to "Hunting/Trapping", then "Public Hunting Areas", select Region 5 to print these permits. All Hunters are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- No permanent stands, screw-in steps or other devices that pierce the bark of trees. Stands must be marked with the hunter's name, address and phone number. Stands may be left unattended Sept. 15 - Jan. 31. Only one stand per hunter.
- All hunting is limited to shotgun or archery equipment.
- Firearm deer hunting is by special permit from the Springfield permit office only. Ft. Massac is open for regular firearm season and muzzleloader season (closed second firearm season). Ft. Massac is also open for youth deer season but no special permit is required.
- A special youth turkey hunt (hunters under the age of 16) is annually held during the spring turkey season. Application through the regular lottery process is required.
- Special caution should be used when hunting by the bike trail which runs through the hunting area. Guns must be unloaded while crossing the trail.
- Waterfowl hunting is allowed following statewide regulations at the Keer Farm Units only.
For further information, contact: Site Superintendent, Fort Massac State Park, 1308 East 5th Street, Metropolis, IL 62960; Phone: (618) 524-4712