Dog Island Wildlife Management Area
LOCATION: 18 miles South of Golconda on the Bay City Blacktop near Smithland Lock and Dam.
Total Acres: 221 Huntable Acres: 221
Water Acres: 25 Timber Acres: 195
MOST PREVALENT GAME SPECIES:
Squirrel Upland Game Deer Furbearers Waterfowl
- All hunters MUST register with the windshield card program before hunting. Hunters are advised that windshield cards to hunt all species are now ONLY available online from the IDNR homepage at https://dnr2.illinois.gov/windshieldcard/. ALL HUNTERS are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Portable stands only for deer hunting. No permanent stands, screw-in steps or other devices that pierce the bark of trees. Stands must be marked with the hunter's name, address and phone number. Stands may be left unattended Sept. 15 - Jan. 31. Only one stand per hunter.
- No crow hunting is allowed on the area.
- Hunting for all species is allowed according to statewide seasons, bag limits and shooting hours.
- Trapping is allowed by special permit only. To receive a permit and for more information contact the Dixon Springs Site Superintendent at: (618) 949-3304.
- Additional regulations will be posted at the parking lot.
- Youth Waterfowl season is held the weekend preceding the South Zone duck opener - follow statewide regulations.
For additional information, contact: Dixon Springs State Park, 24 Park Road, Golconda, IL 62938; Phone: (618) 949-3304
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and
those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and
other agencies is available to all individuals
regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability,
age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you
believe you have been discriminated against, contact the
funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal
Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural
Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY