INTRODUCTION: The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for providing outdoor recreation opportunities for the residents of the State. Of particular concern is providing adequate safe hunting areas on public lands throughout the State. This Hunter Fact Sheet contains information relating to the hunting programs at Chain O' Lakes State Park.
DIRECTIONS: Site office is located on Wilmot Rd., just south of Route 173.
DESCRIPTION: Total area: 6,023 acres; huntable acres 2,500 consisting of woodland, prairie, marsh and ponds. (Late deer season - Oak Point total area: 1,250 huntable acres; approx 250 consisting of woodland, marsh & ponds.)
PROGRAM DATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code and Administrative Orders will apply
unless area regulations are more restrictive.
- Hunters check in at check station before hunting. Hunters must check-out before leaving the park for any reason.
- Alcoholic beverages are forbidden on site.
- Hunters are required to wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches (pheasant season, clean up season & firearm deer).
- Hunting restricted to those areas designated as "open to hunting". Hunting must cease when limit is reached.
- Hunters must park vehicles within the interior of the park and in a designated parking area.
DUCK BLIND DRAWING: Saturday, July 29, 2017
- The drawing for the blinds on Grass Lake, Nippersink Lake and Redwing/Deer Lake will be at Oak Point Day use area located on Rt. 173 west of Antioch.
- Registration will be from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Drawing will be held at 2:00. You must be present.
- A hunting license, and Illinois State Duck Stamp (present or previous year) are needed to register.
DOVE HUNTING: Season 9/1/17 - 9/5/17 Friday - Tuesday
- All dove hunting is done at the dove field located on Rt. 173 east of the Oak Point entrance (signs are posted).
- First day drawing will be held at 11 a.m. if more hunters show up than can be accommodated. Twenty-five hunters are allowed in the field at one time. Self-registration after first day.
- Hunting hours 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. Limit: daily limit will be as prescribed by State Wide Regulations, Steel Shot only, # 6 or smaller. No fee.
- No game shall be cleaned or dressed in the field.
- All hunting is done from assigned stations. Dogs are allowed.
DEER/TURKEY ARCHERY HUNTING: Season 10/30/17 - 12/19/17 Monday & Tuesday ONLY
- A maximum of 35 hunters either deer or turkey will be allowed to hunt at any time.
- Hunting is on a first come first serve basis beginning at 4:30 daily.
- Crossbows are permitted with a crossbow permit or persons 62 years of age or older.
- Hunters must check in and out at check station.
- Hunting restricted to West of the Fox River (see map).
- Stands must be portable and removed daily. Pruning branches up to 1 � " diameter is allowed on the stand tree only. No nails or spikes allowed in trees.
- All scouting must be done before the season starts.
- Hunting hours are per statewide regulations.
- Illinois Deer Archery Permit, Illinois Turkey Archery Permit and Illinois Habitat Stamp are required.
- Late Season 12/26/2017 to 1/14/2018 Daily Hunting is available at Oak Point Day Use Area. Hunting east of Fox River only. Daily quota of ten hunters is filled on a first come first serve basis. Hunters must check in, and out at Oak Point. Check in regulations will be posted.
CONTROLLED PHEASANT HUNTING: Season 11/3/17 - 12/17/17 (Fri., Sat. & Sun. only) except as follows:
- Closed the week of Firearm Deer - 11/15/17 - 11/19/17
- Closed for Youth Pheasant Hunt on 11/11/17
- Open to hunt 11/22/17 - 11/26/17 of Thanksgiving week
- Controlled hunting is operated under a public/private partnership with T. Miller, Inc. To reserve: Information will be posted on the web site www.tmillerinc.com. Applications are accepted starting 7/1.
- When daily quotas are not filled, permits will be sold on a first come first serve basis until quota of 90 hunters is reached, or until 9:00 a.m., whichever occurs first.
- Hunting hours 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Limit: two pheasant rooster or hens. All pheasants must be tagged by DNR Official, with State Hunting Area tag before leaving area.
- Habitat stamps are not required for controlled Pheasant hunting. Shotguns only. Non-toxic shot only; # 3 steel, # 4 bismuth, or #5 tungsten-iron, tungsten-polymer, tungsten-matrix or smaller may be used.
- Youth Pheasant Hunt is Saturday, 11/11/2017 by state permit . Apply on line at www.dnr.illinois.gov. No fee required.
FIREARM DEER HUNTING: Season 11/17/17 - 11/19/17 Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Must apply in spring statewide firearm permit lottery. 40 hunters will be permitted to hunt.
- Legal firearm allowed - shot gun (slug only) 10 - 20 gauge, muzzle loader at least .45 caliber or larger, revolvers .30 caliber or larger.
- Scouting is allowed before deer archery season starts.
- Lottery winners are required to attend a mandatory meeting the last Sunday in September to select stations.
- Firearm permit and Habitat Stamp are required.
CLEAN-UP/NON PERMIT HUNTING: Season 12/20/17 - 12/22/17 Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- The first fifty hunters are allowed in on a first come first serve basis. Hunters are checked in at check station.
- Hunting hours: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Limits: two pheasant , four rabbit, and five squirrel.
- No fee. Habitat Stamps are required.
- Shotguns only. Non-toxic shot only; # 3 steel, # 4 bismuth, or # 5 tungsten-iron, tungsten-polymer, tungsten-matrix, or smaller may be used.
For additional information please contact: Chain O' Lakes State Park, 8916 Wilmot Road, Spring Grove, IL 60081, 847/587-5512