LOCATION: This site is located 5 miles southwest of Carbondale west of U.S. Highway 51 and east of State Route
127 in Jackson County, Illinois.
DESCRIPTION: Total Acres: 1,519; Habitat Type: Forestland 1469 acres; Hayfields 50 acres
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES: White-tailed Deer - Archery Only
The City of Carbondale owns the northern land portion surrounding Cedar Lake and is allowing archery only white-
tailed deer hunting on this property.
AREAS CLOSED TO HUNTER: Refer to map on back for more information
Cedar Creek Road Boat Launch: Wooded and open area surrounding parking lot, supervisor's residence and shop
Raw Water Pump Station: Area surrounding pump station, access road area, and pump station facilities.
Poplar Camp Beach Area
Main Dam and Spillway Areas
On-Site residence on South Poplar Camp Road, adjacent yard and fields
SITE SPECIFIC REGULATIONS:
- The area is open to archery deer hunting only. Firearms are not permitted.
- Tree stands and blinds (tents) used for deer hunting must be removed from the area at the end of each day's hunt.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stands using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree to which it was installed.
- Do not block roads, driveways or gates.
- Do not park on private property; enter upon or cross private property without permission.
- All off-road use by motor vehicle and ATV's are prohibited.
- Archery deer hunters are permitted to use boats and tie up to the shoreline to access the land portion of City property.
- Hunting is not permitted in closed areas specifically signed and designated as No Trespassing and/or No Hunting.
- It is unlawful to archery hunt within 100 yards of an inhabited dwelling without permission from the landowner. Hunters must secure permission from the landowner to retrieve wounded or dead deer on private land.
- Trails will remain open for hiking and for access to shoreline by anglers.
- Successful archery hunters mush register their harvest by 10 p.m. on the same calendar day the deer was harvested by calling the toll-free telephone check-in system at 1-866-452-4325 (1-866-ILCHECK) or by accessing the online check-in system at www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting. Successful hunters must record the deer harvested on the harvest menu system as City of Carbondale - Cedar Lake.
- Statewide hunting regulations apply, unless otherwise specified.
For further information about white-tailed deer hunting, contact IDNR at (618) 993-7148. For information about the City of Carbondale's Cedar Lake property contact the Cedar Lake office at (618) 549-8441.