Location: Approximately 1 mile northwest of the Burnt Prairie exit off of I-64, at the end of County Road 050N, Wayne County.
Description: Alvah Borah State Habitat Area is a satellite of Hamilton County State Fish & Wildlife Area, 102 Park Office Rd., McLeansboro, IL 62859; phone: 618/773-4340. The area is primarily bottomland woods with a creek running from north to south through the property. The Site is only accessible from Wayne County Road 050N, and has very limited parking.
Total Acres: 88 Timber Acres: 87 Huntable Acres: 87
Available Game Species: Deer Squirrel Turkey Rabbit Dove Woodcock Crow Furbearers
- Hunting is restricted to those areas posted as open to hunting. Hunters must park in the designated areas only.
- In addition to having appropriate licenses, stamps, and species permits, all hunters must obtain a free Windshield Card. These cards are available online at https://dnr2.illinois.gov/windshieldcard/ . Navigate to -Hunting/Trapping and then -Public Hunting Areas to print these Windshield Cards. Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information. Failure to submit data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- The Windshield Card must be displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle used while hunting at the Site. Hunters must park in designated area. No off-road vehicle use is allowed.
- Absolutely no overnight camping is allowed.
- Construction and use of permanent tree stands is prohibited. Portable stands may be used for hunting and may be left unattended overnight during the period September 15 through January 31. Each stand must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number when left unattended. Only one stand is allowed per hunter. No screw-in steps allowed.
- Hunting shall be done with shotgun, bow and arrow, muzzle-loading rifles, or legal handguns for deer.
For further information, contact Site Superintendent, Hamilton County State Fish & Wildlife Area, 102 Park Office Rd., McLeansboro, IL 62859, phone: 618/773-4340; or District Wildlife Biologist, 13999 E. Game-Farm Rd., Mt. Vernon, IL 62864, phone: 618/242-2062.