A Herptile Scientific Collection Permit (HSCP) is required by any person who wishes to do research on, take or salvage non-listed Illinois herptiles.
The HSCP will permit, for strictly scientific purposes, the capture, marking, handling, banding or collection (including hide, skin, bones, teeth, claws, nest, eggs or young) of any of the herptiles not protected under federal law or the Illinois Endangered Species Protection Act [520 ILCS 10], but now protected under the Herptiles-Herps Act.
Any collections made must be for permanent donation to bonafide public or state scientific, educational or zoological institutions.
A Herpetoculture Permit (HRHN) is required of any persons wishing to:
- be exempt from his or her possession limits for non-listed native herptile taxa, regardless of whether the permit holder only possesses, or also breeds or commercializes;
- commercialize any non-listed native herptile taxa that have not originated from the wild in Illinois;
- breed (either intentionally or unintentionally) any non-listed native herptile taxa.
- Residents seeking to obtain a Herpetoculture Permit must submit an application form, provided by the Department, along with a nonrefundable annual fee of $50. Application Form
A Herptile Special Use Permit (HSUR) is required of any resident who:
- commits to conducting at least 6 educational programs per calendar years, for which he or she is seeking to possess any venomous reptile or other special use herptile species, including, but not limited to, any crocodilian, Komodo dragon or crocodile monitor lizard.
- The nonrefundable annual fee for a residential Herptile Special Use Permit shall be $250 per permittee. Application Form
A Limited Entry (Nonresident) Special Use Herptile Permits (HLEH) - Nonresidents seeking to transport, ship or display venomous or other special use herptiles through or within the State must apply for a Limited Entry Special Use Herptile Permit.
To pay the permit fee:
When your permit is approved, authorized and signed, we will email you a pdf of the permit and mail you the paper version.