Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Utility Links

​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Breadcrumb

About Weinberg-King

History
The late Mrs. Gertrude Allen presented the deed for the property she donated to the then Illinois Department of Conservation in an informal ceremony held in her home in Augusta, IL. She had indicated a desire for some time to do something in memory of her parents, the late Fredrick M. and Fredricka Weinberg-King and her three brothers, Jacob Weinberg-King, Harry M. King and L. Edson King. Max Weinberg, a Quincy attorney and a cousin of Mrs. Allen, made arrangements for the land to be given to the state in accordance with the wish of the 85-year-old benefactor. The Illinois General Assembly honored this wish for a family memorial by officially naming the area Weinberg-King State Fish and Wildlife Area.
The land, estimated to be worth more than $250,000, had been owned by the Allen family since 1905. Most of the land was not cultivated, but was maintained as a permanent pasture. The 295-acre farm later purchased from Paul Dennis was partly in cultivation and contained the 3.8-acre farm pond. Dennis previously operated a commercial poultry products cannery and the "turkey houses" fronting the highway were landmarks in the area until they were removed to make way for the new road into Weinberg-King SFWA.
 
Natural Features
The terrain at Weinberg-King SFWA is rolling, with steep hillsides. Williams Creek picturesquely meanders through the park for about 2 miles. The average depth of the creek is about 3 feet. The majority of mature trees are locust and osage orange, although pines, autumn olive, honeysuckle, oak and walnut trees have been planted. Many wildflowers are found on the hillsides and along the creek.
Dove, quail, and songbirds familiar to the area may be observed. The fox squirrel and rabbit are plentiful, and a deer and turkey are frequently seen.