Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Utility Links



About Ramsey Lake

Ramsey Lake has a colorful background. For years, the park was known as "Old Fox Chase Grounds" because of its use by fox and raccoon hunters. It also was the site of one of the largest dog field trial events, which was held near the big springs at the northwest corner of the present lake. Other events, such as dances, carnivals and a large machinery display attracted many people. Although privately owned by S.E. Stokes, the site often was used by various groups for public recreational use. In 1947, 815 acres were purchased for a lake site and an additional 1,000 acres have been added since. Throughout the years, county and township officials, concerned citizens, and civic groups actively helped secure land and upgrade and maintain the area, which now totals 1,980 acres.