HOW TO BECOME A SAFETY EDUCATION VOLUNTEER INSTRUCTOR
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources is always looking for qualified individuals who would like to become volunteer instructors in the safety education programs. The following are the qualifications and certification process for volunteer instructors:
An eligible applicant must:
- be 18 years of age or older.
- print and mail the following required forms provided by the Department to the appropriate Regional Volunteer Services Coordinator.
- be a graduate of the student safety course in the specific program for which they are applying for certification as an instructor.
- After all forms have been submitted, they will be reviewed by the Regional Volunteer Services Coordinator (VSC).
- The VSC will assign the applicant to work and train with a master instructor/instructor team.
- The applicant must instruct a minimum of five (5) different classroom topics/sessions in order to fulfill the student teaching requirement.
- The applicant must attend a Safety Education Instructor Policy and Procedure training.
- An evaluation of the applicant's student teaching performance will be completed by the assigned master instructor.
- The VSC will review the evaluation and certify the applicant on the master instructor's recommendation.