Watercraft owners are able to renew their watercraft registrations by using a touch-tone telephone (1-866-867-3542) or the internet (Renew your registration online) . This convenient service operates 24/7. All information supplied to this service regarding registration and credit card information is privacy protected.. A convenience fee will be added to the regular registration fee to offset the cost of the transaction. Before using this service, you need:
- Illinois registration number
- First 6 characters of hull identification number (located on your registration card)
- First 3 letter of the Registered owners last name
- pen and paper to record your confirmation number
- forms of payment include VISA, Mastercard, Discover, American Express and E-Check.
Upon completion of your transaction you will receive a confirmation number that will authorize you to immediately use your watercraft on Illinois waters. This is especially helpful if:
- your current registration and decals have expired
- you have moved since your last registration (the system will allow you to enter your new address)
- a law enforcement officer needs to verify a registration renewal (the system is set up to acknowledge the transaction when the officer enters the registration confirmation number through a special security system accessed through a touch-tone phone).
If your record is not found it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- The registration is not yet expired, it's too early to renew.
- Registration number and hull identification number do not match. You may be entering the registration number and hull id number incorrectly. If your registration consists of 3 numbers and 2 letters instead of 4 numbers and 2 letters then you must enter a zero in front of the number. Example: 0123XZ. The registration number and hull id number are listed on your registration card, watercraft title, renewal application form, or physically inspect your watercraft for the correct numbers.
If you experience problems renewing your registration on-line or by phone please call IDNR's Watercraft Registration/Title Office at 1-800-382-1696 or 217-557-0180.