The Department of Natural Resources DID NOT send out watercraft renewal notices this year. It is your responsibility to make sure that your watercraft registration is current.
All watercraft other than non-powered watercraft on the waters within the jurisdiction of this State shall be registered and titled.
Canoes, kayaks and paddle boats are no longer required to be titled/registered in Illinois UNLESS they have a motor or sail; otherwise customers will be able to purchase a 'Water Usage Stamp' for $6.00 per calendar year for the first three vessels and $3.00 for any additional vessels, all passes must be purchased at the same time to receive the discount.
Water Usage stamps are mandatory. They should be available, over the counter, at any point-of-sale vendor starting July 1, 2013.
State law requires that the purchaser of a watercraft shall, within 15 days after purchase, make application to the Department for registration/title. Watercraft purchased from a dealer, the dealer must within 15 days mail or deliver the application to the Department.
No titles, registration cards, and/or decals are issued over the counter at any Natural Resources Offices. Applications are processed by mail at the Springfield Office.
Processing Times for Watercraft Applications:
Transactions that Require a Registration/Title Application Form
- Internet or phone-in renewals - processing times take 3-4 weeks.
- Mail-in 1/2 sheet pre-printed renewal applications - processing times takes 3-4 weeks from date of receipt.
- Long form Watercraft Registration/Title applications - We are currently processing applications received March 01, 2013 - March 07, 2013.
Please allow 10 weeks after your submission date for inquiries regarding the status of your application.
To apply for one of the following transactions you must complete a watercraft registration title application form and submit it with required documents and fee(s). Please refer to the instruction page of the watercraft registration/title application form for fees, and the "tax requirement on watercraft" information listed below.
- New Registration / Title - New watercraft and watercraft previously issued an out-of-state registration/title.
- Transfer / Renewal - Transferring ownership of a watercraft currently issued an Illinois title/registration.
- Renew - your current watercraft registration, or renew your registration online or by phone at 1-866-867-3542.
- Duplicate Title - To replace one which is destroyed, lost or stolen.
- Corrected Title - To correct information, remove an owner, or add a lienholder.
- Title Search - To obtain owner/lienholder information on a watercraft.
- Duplicate Registration Card - To replace one which has been destroyed, lost or stolen.
- Corrected Registration Card - To correct information on your current registration card such as change of address.
- Duplicate Decals - To replace ones that have been destroyed, stolen or lost.
- United State Coast Guard Documented Vessels - If your watercraft has been issued a
certificate of documentation.
Requirements to Register and Title Watercraft?
- Watercraft Registration/Title Application Instructions and Fee Schedule are on the application, application copy sent to DNR, 120 Day Temporary Permit - The temporary permitcopy of the application is valid for 120 days from the date the application is signed, for use of your watercraft in Illinois while your application is being processed.
- Power of Attorney Form - If the seller(s) has lost the Illinois Watercraft title.
- Small Estate Affidavit Form - If the owner(s) of the watercraft is deceased, you must also submit: 1. a copy of the death certificate for the deceased owner; and 2. a small estate affidavit, attorney's affidavit, or letter of office from a court.
- Statement of Trust Form - (or a copy of the trust agreement) - required, in addition to the title, when selling a watercraft that is titled in a trust name.
Additional Questions?? or to order a supply of watercraft application forms, please call 217-557-0180 or 1-800-382-1696 or e-mail us a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.