LOCATION: The Steward Habitat Area is located in Lee County, approximately 3 miles northwest of Lee, Ill. From US Route 30 in Shabbona, take Shabbona Road approximately four miles north to McGirr Road. Turn left on McGirr Road and go west approximately 4 miles. The Steward Habitat Area is on the northeast corner of McGirr and Locust Roads.
DESCRIPTION OF THE AREA: This is an area 80 acres in size. It is a mixture of legumes, such as clover and alfalfa, warm season grasses, shrub windbreaks and food plots. This area was purchased in 1994 with proceeds from the Illinois State Pheasant Fund. The Lee and Dekalb chapters of Pheasants Forever both provided funds used for habitat establishment on this site. In 1997 a wetland was constructed on this site using matching funds provided by Dekalb County Pheasants Forever and the Illinois Habitat Stamp Fund.
|Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit and Hungarian Partridge
||See #1, 2, 3, 5, 6
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
Special Area Regulations:
- Hunting by permit only. Permits are allocated by the Department of Natural Resources Springfield Permit Office. Dates to submit permit applications for the drawing will be publicly announced. Information can be found in the Illinois Hunting Digest or by contacting 217/782-6384. One permit will be issued for each hunt day. Each permit holder may be accompanied by 3 hunting partners.
- Hunters must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- All hunting must be with shotgun or bow and arrow (flu - flu arrows only and no broadheads).
- 2012 Free Permit Hunting Dates: November 3, 4, 7, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28. December 6, 9, 13, 16, 20, 23.
- Each permit holder must complete and return a hunter harvest survey report to the Department of Natural Resources by February 15, 2013. Failure to submit the report will result in loss of hunting privileges on pheasant habitat areas for the following year.
- Further restrictions may exist. See regulations posted at the site before hunting.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- To park anywhere on the site except in the designated parking lots or for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- To hunt in any area not designated as being open to hunting or to hunt off IDNR property.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Shabbona Lake State Park, 4201 Shabbona Grove Rd., Shabbona, Il. 60550 ( 815) 824-2106
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.