INTRODUCTION: The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for providing outdoor recreation opportunities for the residents of the State. Of particular concern is providing adequate safe hunting areas on public lands throughout the State. This Hunter Fact Sheet contains information relating to the hunting programs at Silver Springs SFWA. Silver Springs is divided by the Fox River and contains several small lakes and wetlands. The majority of the area is in open habitats such as prairie restorations, cool season grasses and agricultural fields. Several small tracts of timber are also located in the park as well.
DIRECTIONS: 5 miles west of YORKVILLE (Rt. 47) on Fox Road.
DESCRIPTION: Total Area - 1,314 acres
Huntable Acres - 900 ac. (only in areas designated as open to hunting on the map)
Habitat Types - Timber - 300 ac; Grasslands - 964 ac; Wetlands - 50 ac.
||Special rules/permit requirements
||Sept. 1 - 5
||Noon - 5pm
||Site permit required. Non-Toxic shot required. See below.
||Sept. 6 - 30
||Noon - Sunset
||Non-Toxic shot required. See below.
||Sept. 8 -30
||Oct. 16 - Jan 8
||9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
||Site permit required. See below.
|Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit - Non Permit
||Jan 9 - 13
||9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
||35 hunters per day. See below.
||Day after Archery Deer closes - Feb. 28
||8 hunters per day. Shotguns with shotshells only. See below
* Non hunters are not allowed in areas where hunting is in progress* (Shot guns cannot be capable of firing more then three consecutive shots.)
- Permit Dove - REGISTRATION: 9:00 AM to 11:00 A.M. Permit void after 11 am. Drawing held at 11 am for vacancies. Must sign in and sign out and report harvest in person. Must wear a Dept. issued back patch and hunt within 10 feet of a marked location within designated fields. No loaded guns to or from the hunting area, no guns into the fields when retrieving birds. Shot size: #6 or smaller steel or other non-toxic approved shot.
- Dove Non-Permit - First come first served, must sign in and sign out and report harvest. Must hunt within 10 feet of marked locations, no loaded guns to and from the hunting area, no loaded guns into field while retrieving birds, must hunt only in designated fields. Closed during National Hunting and Fishing Days (9/26 & 9/27). Shot size: #6 or smaller steel or other non-toxic approved shot.
- Squirrel - 16 hunters per day, Shotgun only. Shot size: lead #6 or smaller, steel # 4 or smaller. Areas B & C only. Sign in and sign out and report harvest on back porch of office. First come first served.
- Deer Archery - First come first served. Ten hunters maximum at any one time. Sign in (allowed 2 hrs prior to legal shooting time), sign out and report of harvest on back porch of office required. Areas B & C only. Blaze orange cap & upper garment required in area C on days that upland bird hunting is taking place. Only portable non-piercing tree stands allowed, must be removed daily.
- Permit Pheasant - REGISTER: 8 AM - 8:30 AM; 11:30 AM - NOON (for late hunts) Closed Monday’s, Tuesday’s Christmas Day, & New Years Day. Open Thanksgiving until 1 pm. Open Oct. 16 & Nov. 10 for hen only hunts. Hunting allowed only in Areas A, D, & E. Shot size: lead #5 or smaller, steel #3 or smaller. Blaze orange cap, upper garment & IDNR patch required. Archers must use flu-flu arrows only. Hunters required to hunt in assigned area for first hour. Permits are available through T. Miller at http://www.Irsidnrpermits.com/TMiller
- Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit - Non Permit - REGISTER: 8 AM - 8:30 AM. Shot size: lead #5 or smaller, steel #3 or smaller. Blaze orange cap, upper garment & IDNR patch required along with an IDNR patch. Archers must use flu-flu arrows only. Bag limit: Two pheasants of either sex. Pheasants must possess an IDNR tag before removing from area. Statewide bag limits apply for quail & rabbit. Hunters required to hunt in assigned area for first hour. Closed Monday and Tuesday
- Coyote - 8 hunters per day. Hunting area A only. No dogs allowed. Shotguns with shotshells only. Electronic calls allowed. All coyote harvests must be removed from site. Sign in and out and report harvest on back porch of office. First come first served.