Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area
Location: The Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area (Dewitt County) - 2 mi. southwest of Farmer City on IL Route 54 Open every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Parking is directly off State Route 54.
Description of the Area (acres): Total Management Area - 60; Huntable - 40; Open Water - 40; Trees: 20
The SCWMA is managed as a moist soil unit to provide food and habitat to waterfowl and other wildlife through natural vegetation. Therefore agricultural plantings will be kept at a minimum.
- Hunting dates will be every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday of the regular statewide duck and goose season.
- Statewide season length and hunting hours will be observed.
- Blinds will be available to hunters through the Public Duck and Goose Hunting Area Permit, an online pre-season lottery. Instructions and an online application are available at http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/waterfowl/Pages/OnlinePermitApplication.aspx
- No person shall hunt or attempt to hunt except from/within their assigned blind.
- No more than 4 persons shall occupy a blind. (The person that drew the blind and 3 guests.)
- All hunting parties shall hunt over a minimum of 12 decoys during duck and Canada goose season.
- Hunting will be from drawn blind only.
- Drawn for the day - hunters may come and go as desired.
- A boat is provided only for retrieving downed birds in deep water. Personal floatation devices are required but not provided.
- Walk in only - no watercraft of any kind allowed.
- Deep water around the outside edges along the levees will be marked with reflective stakes. (see map) These areas are too deep to wade and will require use of a boat provided to retrieve downed waterfowl.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and
those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and
other agencies is available to all individuals
regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability,
age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you
believe you have been discriminated against, contact the
funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal
Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural
Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY