NAME: Saline County State Fish & Wildlife Area (Glen O. Jones Lake)
LOCATION: 5 miles Southeast of Equality, Illinois
A combination of bottomland bordering the south fork of the Saline River adjacent to the Shawnee National Forest. The rugged rock hills are heavily timbered with springs, rocky creeks and the lake furnishing water for wildlife.
Total Acres: 1270, Water Acres: 105, Huntable Acres: 1000, Timber Acres: 300, Open, Cultivated or Fallow Acres: 600
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES:
Deer, Quail, Woodcock, Squirrel, Rabbit , Turkey, Dove , Waterfowl
Forest game, including deer and squirrel, inhabit the timbered areas, and also use food plots managed by site staff. Several open fields bordering the river are surrounded by brushy areas providing cover for quail and rabbits. Waterfowl also use the bottomland areas when the streams overflow and water is available. Cover plantings have been made to reduce the size of open fields and increase habitat for many species of wildlife.
OTHER FACILITIES AVAILABLE:
Fishing and boating on the lake
Large picnic areas with tables and fireplaces
Camping areas with gravel pads and sanitary station for trailers
- Hunters are advised that "windshield cards" are required to hunt all species which are available from the INDR homepage - www.dnr.illinois.gov . Navigate to "Hunting/Trapping", then "Public Hunting Areas", select Region 5 to print these permits. ALL hunters are required to have a state hunting permit. Hunters are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- All motorized vehicles must remain on roads or in access areas and park in designated areas or adjacent to roads.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it was installed. Tree stands that are used for hunting deer must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address and telephone number when left unattended. Tree stands may be left unattended only from September 15 - January 31. Only one tree stand per hunter.
- Turkey and firearm deer hunting is available to individuals utilizing a county permit.
- All upland game hunters engaged in quail and rabbit hunting must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- Dove hunting hours will be noon to 5:00 p.m. opening day, Wednesdays and Saturdays only. Registration will begin at 11:00 a.m. if more than 50 hunters register by 11:30 a.m. a lottery drawing will be held.
- Youth Waterfowl season is held the weekend preceding the South Zone duck opener.
- Statewide regulations apply, unless otherwise specified.
For further information, contact: Site Superintendent, Saline County State Fish & Wildlife Area, 85 Glen 0. Jones Road, Equality, IL 62934; Phone: (618) 276-4405.