Location: The Nachusa State Habitat Area is located in Ogle County, approx. 4 miles northwest of Franklin Grove, Il. From US Route 38 in Franklin Grove, take Daysville Road north approx. 3.5 miles to Stone Barn Rd. Turn left (west) onto Stone Barn and go approx. 1 mile. The habitat area is on the north side of Stone Barn Road, just past Carthage Rd.
Description: This is an area of approx. 72 acres in size. The area is owned by the Il. Department of Natural Resources. However, The Nature Conservancy currently has a 15 year lease on the property for management and restoration of the site. TNC is in the process of removing and controlling exotic / invasive woody and herbaceous species and restoring the area to native prairie and wetland. The Nature Conservancy should be commended for their restoration efforts at this site and their willingness to cooperate with the IDNR in offering this hunting opportunity.
||Special Area Regulations
|Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit,Hungarian Partridge
||See #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
Special Area Regulations:
- Site specific permit required to hunt. Dates to submit permit applications to the Springfield Permit Office for the drawing will be publicly announced. Information can be found in the Illinois Hunting Digest or by contacting 217/782-6384. One permit will be issued for each hunt day; each permit holder may be accompanied by 3 hunting partners.
- Hunters must wear a solid blaze orange cap and upper outer garment of at least 400 square inches.
- Season dates are November 1, 2, 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22, 26, 29 and December 4, 7, 11, 14, 18, 21, 2014.
- All hunting must be with shotgun or bow and arrow (flu - flu arrows only and no broadheads).
- Each permit holder must complete and return a hunter harvest survey report to the Department of Natural Resources by February 15th, 2015. Failure to submit the report will result in loss of hunting privileges on pheasant habitat areas for the following year.
- Further restrictions may exist. See posted regulations before hunting.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To hunt in any area not designated as being open to hunting.
- For unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail or be in any “off road” area or to park anywhere on the site except in designated parking areas.
- To possess weapons in the field except during hunting hours and while engaged in hunting.
- To hunt at night on this area.
Other Activities / Facilities Available: Hiking, equestrian trails.
For further information contact: Franklin Creek SNA; 1872 Twist Rd.; Franklin Grove, IL 61031 Phone 815/456-2878.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.