Location: Carroll County, 3 miles north of Savanna.
Description: Total Acres: 2500, Water Acres: 1, Open Acres: 200, Timbered Acres: 2300, Huntable Acres: 1500.
The vegetative cover of the area is grasslands, hay fields, and row crops located on ridge tops intermixed within mixed oak-hickory woodlands. The topography is steep, consisting of unglaciated ridges. The area is bordered by private lands with timbered slopes and cultivated valleys and ridge tops.
Available Game Species:
|| Special Regulations
||Closed during the first firearm deer season.
||Closed during the first firearm deer season
||First portion of the Firearm season only.
||Quota of 30 hunters.
||Seasons 1 - 4 only
||Quota of 14 hunters per season
General Area Regulations:
- Think safety first! You should be aware that hikers and other non-hunters may be in area.
- All statewide regulations apply.
- Hunters must obtain a Free Site Windshield Card online at the IDNR website: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/PublicHuntingAreas.aspx. This card must be displayed and visible under the vehicle windshield and the pocket portion in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their Windshield Card annual harvest online by February 15th (even if the hunter did not hunt) or they forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year.
- In addition to Windshield Card reporting, successful deer and turkey hunters are required to record their harvest as instructed on their permit.
- Hunting is restricted to those portioins of the area posted as open to hunting, which is east of the main park road. You may not possess an uncased bow or loaded/uncased firearm outside of the posted hunting zones.
- Hunters must park in one of the eight designated parking lots. Do not block access to fields or gates.
- It shall be unlawful to construct or to use any tree stand that utilizes nails, screws, wire or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it is installed. Only one tree stand is allowed per hunter Tree stands may be left unattended from September 15 - January 31 if legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or to consume beer, wine, or intoxicating liquors while hunting on the area.
- You may not enter a restricted area or trespass on private land for any reason without first noftifying the park staff or the appropriate landowner.
- Hunting is to be allowed with shotgun and bow and arrow only.
- Only permitted hunters are allowed in the area during deer firearm season and until 1:00 PM during turkey firearm seasons.
Spring Turkey Hunting Regulations:
- All spring turkey hunters must obtain a Special Hunt Area permit, which will be issued through the Permit Office in Springfield. Permits valid for Carroll Co. will not be valid at Mississippi Palisades State Park.
- Preference is given to disabled hunters for three permits in each of the 4 seasons.
Firearm Deer Hunting Regulations:
- All firearm deer hunters must obtain a Special Hunt Area permit, which will be issued through the Permit Office in Springfield. Permits valid for Carroll Co. will not be valid at Mississippi Palisades S.P. Permit holders must register and show Windshield Card at the park office by 5:00 am.each day they intend to hunt. Unvalidated permits are void after 5:00 am.
- Stand by hunters must check-in for a drawing by 5:00 am each day. Stand by permits are $5.00 a day. No refills available.
- Handguns and Muzzleloader rifles are permitted during the first portion of statewide firearm season.
For further information contact: Mississippi Palisades State Park, 16327A IL Rte. 84, Savanna, IL 61074. Telephone: 815-273-2731.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.