LOCATION: The Maytown Pheasant Habitat Area is located in Lee County, approximately 13 miles south of Dixon, Il. Take Il. Route 26 to Maytown Road - go 3 miles east on Maytown Road to Carter Road - go 3/4 miles south on Carter Road - entrance is on the east side of Carter, just north of Todd Road
DESCRIPTION OF THE AREA: The area consists of approximately 160 acres. It is a mixture of various cool season grasses and legumes, warm season grasses, shrub plantings, old field, creek bottoms, food plots, and some wooded areas. This area was purchased in 1999 with proceeds from the Illinois State Pheasant Fund. Lee County Pheasants Forever also assisted with providing funds for habitat establishment on this site.
||See #1, 2, 7
|Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit, Hungarian Patridge
||See #2, 3, 4, 6, 7
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive. Archery deer hunters must obtain a free site windshield card online from www.dnr.illlinois.gov. Navigate to "hunting/trapping" and then "public hunting areas". Proceed to "Free Site Hunting Permit (Windshield Card) and select "New Self-issued Windshield Card" tab under the "Upland/Forest Game (and Dog Training ) column. Complete all fields as necessary and print Windshield Card and accompanying pocket card. Your windshield card must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the windshield card number visible and the pocket card portion in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their annual harvest Online (even if you did not hunt) by February 15, 2016. Hunters shall forfeit hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the prescribed deadline.
- No more that 4 hunters at any one time. All hunters must sign in, sign out and report harvest at the registration box in the site parking lot.
- All hunting must be with shotgun or bow and arrow (for pheasant, rabbit, quail & partridge hunting: flu - flu arrows only and no broadheads).
- Hunters must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- Each permit holder must complete and return a hunter harvest survey report to the Department of Natural Resources by February 15, 2015. Failure to submit the report will result in loss of hunting privileges on all pheasant habitat areas for the following year.
- 2015 season dates are: November 7, 8, 11, 14, 18, 21, 25, 28. December 3, 6, 10, 13, 17, 20, 24.
- Hunting by permit only. Special permits are allocated by the Department of Natural Resources - Springfield Permit Office. Dates to submit permit applications for the drawing will be publicly announced. Further information can be found in the Illinois Hunting Digest or by contacting 217/782-6384. One permit will be issued for each hunting date listed below; each permit holder may be accompanied by 3 hunting partners, allowing for a maximum of 4 hunters per day.
- Further restrictions may exist. See regulations posted at the site before hunting.
IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL:
- To park anywhere on the site except in the designated parking lots or for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- To hunt in any area not designated as being open to hunting or to hunt off IDNR property.
- To engage in "driving" deer for the purpose of hunting on any IDNR site.
- To construct or to use any type of tree stand, screw-in steps, spikes, cleats, ladder, climbing aids, etc. using nails, screws, wire, or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of any tree. Stands must be portable and must be removed from the site at the end of each day’s hunt. Only one stand per person is allowed.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
For further information contact: Green River State Wildlife Area, 375 Game Road, Harmon, Il. 61042 (815) 379-2324