Location: La Salle County, about 3 miles south of Utica on Ill. 178.
Description: Matthiessen State Park consists of 1,629 acres, 60 acres of which are planted to sunflowers and managed for dove hunting. All dove fields are located in agricultural row crop field settings. Parking is available within walking distance of the fields.
||Special Area Regulations (See below)
||1 SEP - 5 SEP
||Noon - 5:00 PM
||See # 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
||6 SEP - 30 SEP
||Noon - Sunset
||See # 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
Special Area Regulations:
- Permit allocated through state lottery.
- Permit holders must register between 9:00 am - 11:00 am at the Vermillion River Area of Matthiessen State Park to validate their permits. Hunters field selection will be made at the time of registration. Hunters will be issued a back patch which must be worn when hunting.
- Prior to hunting in any of the dove fields, all hunters are required to register at the sign-in box located on the north side of the entrance road into the Vermilion River Area of Matthiessen State Park (see area map on reverse side). All hunters must sign-out and report their harvest.
- Hunters will hunt from stakes-2 hunters per stake. No loaded guns to or from the hunting area. No guns into fields when retrieving birds. Hunting in designated areas only.
- The hunting area is composed of sunflower/millet fields which will be hunted each day of each season.
- If/when the daily hunter quota is not fulfilled, a drawing will be held to fill the site. Please check in prior to 11:00 AM if you wish to be included in the drawing.
- Only size #6 or smaller steel shot or other non-toxic approved shot.
- Hunter numbers are determined by the number of stakes per field.
- All shell casings and other litter MUST be picked up and placed in refuse containers. Please leave the area clean.
- All hunters must attend the safety talk before entering the field.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To park except in assigned areas.
- To be in any hunting area during the season if you are not hunting.
- To hunt with other than a shotgun.
- To light or use an open fire in hunting areas.
- To hunt at this area if the Site Superintendent or his authorized representative determine and state the conditions are unsafe and have posted the area accordingly.
Other Facilities Available: Camping, picnicking, hiking, dining, lodge facilities, boating, horseback riding, and fishing.
For further information contact: Site Superintendent; Starved Rock State Park Box 509 Utica, Il. 61373 Phone: 815/667-4726
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.