Location: Bureau County: 4 miles northeast of Sheffield, 1 mile south of I-80, west of Route 40.
Description: Spread over a length of about 100 miles, the Hennepin Canal, along with the Feeder Canal, provides 5,348 acres of recreational opportunity. The deer hunting is available at the Main Complex area where the Visitor Center is located. The Main Complex is 400 acres in size.
||Special Area Regulations
||Statewide, See #6
||See below - all
|| See #1, 11
||See #1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply unless
area regulations are more restrictive.
Special Area Regulations:
- Statewide season dates, except closed during firearm deer season. Turkey, coyote and raccoon are open only when the site archery deer season is open and are archery only.
- Hunting periods will be filled through a mail-in permit drawing. Applications are available at the Hennepin Canal office and on the IDNR web site at http://www.dnr.illinois.gov. Applications are limited to Illinois residents only and must be received at the Canal office by 4pm, July 31st to be eligible for the drawing. Successful applicants drawn will be notified by mail before September 1st and will be assigned one of the seasons. Any unissued permits will be filled by the drawing alternate list.
- All hunters must have in their possession a current hunting license and habitat stamp, a state issued archery permit, and each hunter must obtain and display a windshield card when deer hunting at the site. The windshield card is available at www.dnr.illinois.gov. Navigate to "hunting/trapping, and then "public hunting areas" to register and obtain the permit. If you need assistance in obtaining the card, report to or contact the Hennepin Canal Office at 815/454-2328. (Hunters will be required to return to this website to report their harvest no later than February 15th each year. Failure to submit the data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the follwoing year. The survey is required even if you do not hunt).
- Hunting is restricted to designated areas only (see map). Hunters may hunt from an elevated stand. Only one stand per hunter allowed. Stands and climbing devices must be portable, but do not have to be removed at the end of the day. Stands left in the field must be tagged with the hunter's name and address. All stands must be removed on the last day of each "season", but no later than 15 days after the end of the state archery season.. Ground blinds for qualified handicapped hunters are available from the site office.
- Preseason scouting before October 1st only.
- An antlerless deer must be harvested before any antlered deer is taken.
- If it is necessary to track game onto private property, it is the hunters responsibility to notify the site office and to secure permission from the landowner. All property around the park is in private ownership.
- Plastic markers, flagging tape, and reflective tree markers are prohibited.
- Hunters must sign in/sign out at the registration box in the Zone B parking area. This is for your safety and regulation. Deer harvested must be reported at sign in/sign out area. This does not mean you have completed your harvest report. You still must report your harvest on-line by February 15 following the close of the season.
- Field dressing is permitted at least 50' from any road, trail, or developed area. Any debris or body parts generated by field dressing must remain at least 50' from any road, trail, or developed area. We request that you not drag your game on trails being used by non-hunters. urther restrictions may exist. See posted regulations before hunting.
- Turkey may be harvested (by archery) if you have the appropriate license, stamp and permits in your possession when hunting during your allocated time period.
- Further restrictions may exist. See posted regulations before hunting.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To park other than in designed parking areas. No parking on the roadways.
- To construct or use any stand or accessory using nails, screws, or any device which pierces, cuts, or otherwise damages the bark of the tree on which it is installed or to trim limbs and / or cut woody vegetation to enhance the stand location.
- To be in the hunting area during the season if you are not hunting.
- To possess an unlocked bow outside of the hunting area.
- To light or use an open fire within the hunting area.
- To hunt at the area if the site superintendent or his authorized representative determine and announce that conditions are unsafe and have posted the area accordingly.
Other Facilities / Activities Available: Hiking, fishing, picnicking, snowmobiling, equestrian trail, bird watching, bicycling, boating, canoeing, cross country skiing, ice skating.
For more information contact: Site Superintendent, 16006-875 E Street, Sheffield, IL 61361, Tele-815/454-2328.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and those funded by the Fish & Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion or other non-merit factors. If you believe that you have been discriminated against, contact the funding sources civil rights office and/or the Equal Opportunity Officer, IDNR, 1 Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702;(217)785-0067.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.