2014 - 2015 Season
Location: Approximately 8 miles east of McLeansboro, Illinois off of State Highway 14
Description: Total Acres: 1,674
Huntable Acres: 1,530 Water Acres: 75 Timber Acres: 230 Open, cultivated, or fallow field acres: 1,300
The area is one of gently rolling topography. Most of the hunting area is small, open fields bordered by heavy fencerows, border plantings of shrubs, small trees, pines, and small patches of brush and timber. This area provides good upland hunting with an abundance of quality food and cover. The area also provides excellent opportunities for Deer and Turkey hunters.
Available Game Species:
Deer Squirrel Quail Turkey Rabbit Dove Woodcock Crow Furbearers
Other Facilities Available: Large picnic areas with tables and fireplaces, restaurant, fishing and boating on the lake, camping area with gravel pads, electricity, sanitary station for trailers, shower building, and rental cabins.
- Hunting is restricted to those areas posted as open to hunting. Hunters must park in the designated areas only.
- In addition to having appropriate licenses, stamps, and species permits, all hunters must obtain a free Site Windshield Card/Harvest Report Form. These cards are available online at www.dnr.illinois.gov . Navigate to “Hunting/Trapping” and then “Public Hunting Areas” to print these Windshield Cards. Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information. Failure to submit data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- The Windshield Card must be displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle used while hunting at the Site. Hunters must park in designated areas. No off-road vehicle use is allowed.
- Construction and use of permanent tree stands is prohibited. Portable stands may be used for hunting and may be left unattended overnight during the period September 15 through January 31. Each stand must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number when left unattended. Only one stand is allowed per hunter. No screw-in steps allowed.
- Deer hunting shall be done with shotgun, bow and arrow, muzzle-loading rifles, or legal handguns.
For further information, contact Site Superintendent, Hamilton County State Fish & Wildlife Area, RR #4 Box 242, McLeansboro, IL 62859, phone: 618/773-4340; or District Wildlife Biologist, 13999 E. Game-Farm Rd., Mt. Vernon, IL 62864, phone: 618/242-2062.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.