The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for the preservation and restoration of wildlife habitat and for providing hunting opportunity for the residents of this state. Hallsville Pheasant Habitat Area, purchased with the revenue generated from the Illinois Habitat Stamp, provides high quality permanent habitat for ring-necked pheasants and hunting opportunities for Illinois Sportsman.
LOCATION: Six miles west of Clinton on Illinois Route 10 to Hallsville, then ï¿½ mile north on County Road 225 East.
DESCRIPTION OF THE AREA: TOTAL ACRES: 82.9
HUNTABLE ACRES: 82.9 WATER ACRES: 0
TIMBERED ACRES: 0 OPEN ACRES: 82.9
Hallsville Pheasant Habitat Area is characterized by grasslands (98%) as the major habitat component.
SEASONS, HOURS, LIMITS:
Pheasant, rabbit and quail hunting is by Free Upland Game Permit Only, issued by Springfield. Permits are issued for the first and second day of the statewide upland game season and on each subsequent Wednesday and Saturday in November and on each Thursday and Sunday in December, through December 24. Hunting hours and limits are statewide. Archery deer hunting is allowed October 1 - 31 only (see below).
OTHER SPECIAL REGULATIONS:
- Windshield Cards are required for Deer Archery Only. These are available online at www.dnr.illinois.gov. Navigate to "Hunting/Trapping" and then "public hunting areas" to print these permits. Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information.
- A Free Upland Game Permit Application must be submitted online for a lottery drawing to be held in August. The application is available at www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/uplandgame. Hunters will be required to return their harvest card prior to February 15th each year. Failure to submit the card will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Only one hunting party, consisting of the permit holder and no more than three companions, will be allowed each day.
- All pheasant, rabbit and quail hunting must be done with shotgun or bow and arrow only.
- Hunters must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid blaze orange (at least 400 square inches).
Send application for hunting to: Upland Game, P.O. Box 19457, Springfield, IL 62794-9457
For further information, please contact: The Division of Wildlife Resources (217/782-6384). For general information about hunting regulations and applications please click here.