LOCATION: 13 Miles south of Dixon on Rt. 26 - 3 miles west of Rt. 26 on Maytown Road.
DESCRIPTION: Total area - 2,565 acres, Huntable Acres - 2,515. The area is one of gently rolling topography. Much of the area consists of slough, pines, cultivated fields, grasslands, and wetlands.
Visitors should be cautious of trees on site where mechanical treatments or naturally decaying processes have left them weak enough to fall.
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES:
||Aug. 1 - Oct. 31
||Shotgun or archery only - See #1, 2, 5
||Sept. 1 - Sept. 5
||12N - 5PM
||See # 1, 3, 4, 5
||Sept. 6 - Sept. 30
||See #1, 3, 5
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
SPECIAL AREA REGULATIONS:
- All hunters are required to sign in prior to hunting and to check out and report harvest immediately after the conclusion of the hunt. Sign in / check out box is located at the hunter check station.
- Only lead or bismuth shot of size 5, 6, 7 ½ , or smaller; or, size 3 steel or smaller, may be used for squirrel hunting.
- Non toxic shot only! Only size # 6, or smaller, steel shot; or, size # 7 ½, or smaller, bismuth shot may be possessed.
- Permit required. Standby hunting available. Check-in time from 10:00 am - 11:00 am.
- Further restrictions may exist. See regulations posted at the site before hunting.
IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL:
- To hunt in any area not designated as being open to hunting.
- To park anywhere on the site except in the designated parking lots & for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- To hunt with anything other than a shotgun or bow and arrow; except that .22 rimfire firearms may be used for raccoon, opossum, fox, coyote and skunk from 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage, including beer & wine, while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To possess weapons in the field except during hunting hours.
For Further Information contact: Green River State Wildlife Area, 375 Game Rd. Harmon, IL. 61042 (815) 379-2324
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.