NAME: Fort Massac State Park
LOCATION: Metropolis, Illinois, in Massac County
Total Acres: 1450 Huntable Acres: 984
Open Land Acres: 115 Timber Acres: 520
The hunting area lies in two parcels, just east of Metropolis. Located along the Ohio River, these mature hardwood forests have legume-grain plots and old fields for wildlife.
MOST PREVALENT GAME SPECIES:
Squirrel Deer Rabbit Dove Wild Turkey
This area has a very good population of squirrel and deer. Hunter harvest figures indicate a steady rise in hunter use.
- Hunting is restricted to areas posted as open to hunting.
- All hunters must register on the windshield card program before hunting. Hunters are advised that windshield cards to hunt all species are now ONLY available online from the IDNR homepage - www.dnr.illinois.gov . Navigate to "Hunting/Trapping", then "Public Hunting Areas", select Region 5 to print these permits. All Hunters are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- One portable deer stand (tagged w/name and address) per hunter may be left over night during the deer season.
- All hunting is limited to shotgun or bow and arrow.
- Firearm hunting is by special permit from the Springfield permit office only.
- A special youth turkey hunt (hunters under the age of 16) is annually held during the spring turkey season. Application through the regular lottery process is required.
- Special caution should be used when hunting by the bike trail which runs through the hunting area. Guns bust be unloaded while crossing the trail.
For further information, contact: Site Superintendent, Fort Massac State Park, 1308 East 5th Street, Metropolis, IL 62960; Phone: (618) 524-4712