The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for the preservation and restoration of wildlife habitat and for providing hunting opportunities for the residents of this state. The Finfrock State Habitat Area, provides high quality habitat for all wildlife, including pheasants and quail and hunting opportunities for Illinois Sportsman.
LOCATION: 5 miles west of Wapella on Co. Hwy. 9, 1.5 miles north on County Road 400 East, then 1 mile west on County Road 1400 North.
DESCRIPTION: TOTAL ACRES: 377 HUNTABLE ACRES: 365 TIMBERED ACRES: 16 OPEN ACRES: 349 WATER ACRES: 1.5
Finfrock is characterized by an interspersion of cool season and native grasslands (98%) as the major habitat component.
SEASONS, HOURS, LIMITS
Pheasant, rabbit and quail hunting is by free Permit Only issued by Springfield. Permits are issued for the first and second day of the statewide upland game season and on each subsequent Wednesday and Saturday in November and on each Thursday and Sunday in December, through December 24. Hunting hours and limits are statewide. Archery deer hunting is October 1 - 31 only (see below).
OTHER SPECIAL REGULATIONS:
- Free Site Hunting Permits (windshield cards) are required for species a noted. These are available online at www.dnr.illinois.gov. Navigate to "Hunting/Trapping" and then "public hunting areas" to print these permits. Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information.
- A Free Upland Game Permit Application must be submitted online for a lottery drwing to be held in August. The application is available at www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/uplandgame. Hunters will be required to return their harvest card prior to February 15th each year. Failure to submit the card will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- Only one party of six, consisting of the permit holder and no more than 5 companions will be allowed each day.
- All pheasant, rabbit and quail hunting must be done with a shotgun or bow and arrow only.
- Upland game hunters must wear a cap and upper garment of solid blaze orange (at least 400 square inches).
Send application information for hunting to: Upland Game, P.O. Box 19457, Springfield, IL 62794-9457
For further information, please contact: The Division of Wildlife Resources (217/782-6384). For general information about hunting regulations and applications please click here.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY (217)782-9175.