NAME: Ferne Clyffe Hunting Area (Ferne Clyffe State Park)
LOCATION: 1 mile South of Goreville, IL (Johnson County)
DESCRIPTION: Huntable Acres 450, Water Acres 2, Timber Acres 408, Open 40
AVAILABLE GAME SPECIES: Deer, Squirrel, Wild Turkey, Quail, Rabbit
Check with the Site Check Station for season, limits, etc. Deer, turkey and squirrel populations on this area are very good. The majority of this area is in forested or brushy type habitat which favor these species. There are fair populations of quail and rabbit.
- All hunters must SIGN IN and OUT and report harvest each day at the registration boxes before leaving the site.
- Hunting is restricted to those portions of the area posted as open to hunting.
- Squirrel season does not begin until sunrise, the day after Labor Day. There is no fox, coyote, skunk, groundhog, raccoon, opossum or crow hunting allowed.
- All hunting must be by shotgun or bow and arrow with the exception that muzzle loading rifles and handguns may be used to hunt deer during the firearm deer seasons. Only muzzle loading riles may be used during the muzzle loader deer season.
- On all DNR sites during pheasant, rabbit, quail, and partridge season, hunters and trappers are required to wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches while trapping or hunting pheasant, quail, Hungarian partridge, rabbit, snipe, rail, and woodcock.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand or tree climbing equipment, using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it is installed or used. Tree stands that are used for hunting deer must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number when left unattended. Tree stands may be left unattended from Sept. 15 - Jan. 31. Only one tree stand per hunter.
- It is unlawful to drive deer, or participate in a deer drive, on all Department owned or managed properties during all deer seasons.
- It is unlawful to use or occupy a ground blind during any firearm deer season on public land unless at least 400 square inches of solid vivid blaze orange material is securely attached to the uppermost portion of the blind and a substantial amount of orange is visible for 360 degrees.
ATTENTION FIREARM DEER HUNTERS
- Regular Firearm Deer Season (shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun). Statewide regulations shall apply except that all hunting for this season is allowed by site specific permit only. The site specific permit is issued thorough the statewide computerized drawing. To participate in the drawing, applicants must list Ferne Clyffe State Park - Ferne Clyffe Hunting Area, a special hunt area, on their permit application. This permit is only valid for the specific site and season indicated on the permit.
- Muzzleloader Deer Season (muzzleloaders only).
- Late-Winter Antlerless Deer Season (handgun, muzzleloader, shotgun). This area will be open for the late-winter deer season by public announcement and/or if the area is listed as being open on the late-winter deer season application.
- Youth Firearm Deer Season (shotgun or muzzleloader). This area will be open for the Youth Firearm Deer Season only if indicated via public announcement.
ATTENTION SPRING TURKEY HUNTERS
1. Regular Spring Turkey Season (shotgun or archery). Statewide regulations shall apply except that all hunting is allowed by site specific permit only. This site specific permit is issued through the statewide computerized drawing. To participate in the drawing, applicants must list Ferne Clyffe State Park - Ferne Clyffe Hunting Area, a special hunt area, on their permit application. This permit is only valid for the specific site and season indicated on the permit. A maximum of two (2) hunters will be allowed to hunt the area each day.
For further information, contact: Site Superintendent, Ferne Clyffe State Park, P.O. Box 10, Goreville, IL 62939; Phone (618) 995-2411