NAME: Devil's Island Wildlife Management Area
LOCATION: Located one mile north of McClure, Illinois in Union and Alexander counties.
Total Acres: 2741 Huntable acres: 2741 Timber Acres: 2077 Water Acres: 30 Cultivated Acres: 634
This area is located in the Lower Mississippi River Bottoms. The area includes bottomland, hardwood forests, and agricultural fields. Picayune Chute flows along the eastern boundary of the Island. This area is on the unprotected side of the Mississippi River Levee and is subject to significant seasonal flooding.
ACCESS: Access to the island portion of this area, when the Mississippi River is low enough, is limited to foot traffic across a low-water crossing over Picayune Chute . All other times access to the island is by boat only. Public boat accesses are available at Cape Girardeau, MO (3 miles downstream), at Thebes, IL ( 11 miles downstream), and Grand Tower, IL (25 miles upstream).
MOST PREVALENT GAME SPECIES:
Deer, Furbearers, Squirrel, Wild Turkey
- Unmarked private property exists adjacent to this state property. It is each hunter’s responsibility to ONLY traverse and hunt within the boundaries posted by the state.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand or tree climbing equipment; using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree onwhich it is installed or used. Tree stands that are used for hunting deer must be legibly marked with the owner’s name, address, and telephone number when left unattended. Tree stands may be left unattended from Sept. 1 - Jan. 31. Only one tree stand per hunter.
- No permanent blinds or pits may be dug or constructed. All blinds must be portable or established with natural vegetation and must be removed or dismantled at the end of each day’s hunt. Cutting of live vegetation on the area is illegal.
- In addition to the usual requirements stated in the IL Digest of Hunting & Trapping Regulations, on all IDNR sites during, rabbit and quail seasons, hunters and trappers are also required to wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches while trapping or hunting quail, rabbit, snipe, rail, and woodcock.
- Firearm deer hunting is by Statewide regulation according to county permit of choice (Alexander or Union).
- All motorized vehicles must remain on access road or at parking area. This is a walk-in hunting area–NO ATV’s or bicycles are allowed. Person-pulled carts can be used to retrieve deer.
- Trappers must obtain written permission from the Union County Refuge office prior to setting traps. Only Egg traps, C-PC (dog proof) traps, box traps or traps of similar design may be used for land sets.
- Youth Waterfowl season is held the weekend preceding the South Zone duck opener - follow statewide regulations.
For further information, contact: Site Superintendent, Union County State Fish & Wildlife Area, 2755 Refuge Road, Jonesboro, Illinois, 62952 Phone: (618) 833-5175 Office/Visitor Center hours are Mon-Fri 7:30a.m. to 3:00p.m.