INTRODUCTION: The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for providing outdoor recreation opportunities for residents of the State. Of particular concern is providing adequate safe hunting areas on public lands throughout Illinois. This "Hunter Fact Sheet" contains information relating to archery deer hunting at the Des Plaines Game Propagation Center. The site is primarily used for the propagation of pheasants with large areas of grass, agricultural and successional habitat types.
DIRECTIONS: 8 miles south of I-80 on I-55, to Wilmington, (exit 241); then east 1.5 miles and south on Boathouse Rd. to the site office.
DESCRIPTION: Total Acres -240 Huntable Acres - 134 Habitat types - Timber- 51 Grasslands/Agriculture - 76 Wetlands - 7
||Special rules/permit requirements
|Deer - archery
||One (1) trapper annually. Permit issued by mail-in drawing. See below.
Archery Deer Hunting :
- Season: During the month of October: Monday through Friday only. During the months of November, December & January: closed Sundays. Closed during the 7 day split firearm deer season.
- Sign In: Hunters must sign in and sign out daily. Failure to do so will result in loss of hunting privileges.
- Tree Stands: Only portable non-piercing tree stands/steps allowed, must be removed daily.
- Parking: Park along the entrance drive outside front gate. Do not block any access.
- Scouting: Scouting will only be allowed the last full week (M - F) in September.
A total of one (1) trapping permit will be allocated annually by mail-in drawing. Those interested should submit their name, address & phone number to: District Wildlife Biologist, DPGPC Trapping, 30550 South Boathouse Rd., Wilmington, IL 60481 from August 1 - 31 annually. Permit winner to be notified by October 1. Trapper is required to wear blaze orange while on site. Trapper to report effort & harvest by April 1.
For more information please contact: Des Plaines Game Propagation Center, 30550 S. Boathouse Rd. Wilmington, IL 60481. Phone: 815-476-6741