LOCATION: Ogle county, 3 miles south of Oregon IL. on IL. State Hwy. Route 2
DESCRIPTION: Huntable acres: approx. 1,620. The site is composed mainly of upland forest with wooded ridges and deep ravines interspersed with hill prairie and old fields. Hiking trails are available for hunter access.
||(Firearm) 1st Season
Nov 20 - 22, 2015
2nd Season: Dec 3 - 6, 2015
|Muzzleloader Dec 11 - 13 2015
||CWD Deer Season |
Dec. 31, 2015 - Jan 3, 2016;
Jan 15 -17, 2016
AREA REGULATIONS: FIREARM, MUZZLELOADER DEER SEASONS:
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive CWD deer season hunters must obtain a free site windshield card online from www.dnr.illinois.gov. To do so, navigate to "hunting/trapping" and then "public hunting areas". Proceed to "Free Site hunting Permit (Windshield Card)" and select "New Self-IssuedWindshield Card" tab under the "Upland/Forest Game (and Dog Training) column. Complete all fields sa necessary and print Windshield Card and accompanying pocket card. This card (your windshield card) must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the windshield cardf number visible and the pocket card portion in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report thei annual harvest online (even if you did not hunt) by February 25, 2016. Hunters shall forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the prescribed deadline. .
IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL:
A. To construct or to use any tree stand, screw-in steps, spikes, cleats, ladder, climbing aids, etc. using nails, screws, wire or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree. Tree stands must be portable and may be left unattended from Sept. 15th through Jan. 31st. Stands left must be marked with the hunter’s name, address, and phone number. Only one stand per permit holder is allowed.
B. To consume any alcoholic beverage, including beer and wine, while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
C. To hunt in any area not designated as open to hunting.
D. For any person to park except at a designated parking area.
E. For unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail or be in any “off road” area.
F. Hunters must have permission from neighboring land owners before entering onto private property.
G. Hunters must have permission from Park staff prior to entering any restricted / no hunting area on the Park.
H. To place or use any bait, attractant, lure, etc. that may be licked, ingested, etc.; or, use any item that generates heat.
I. It is unlawful to drive deer or participate in a deer drive on this area during any hunting season.
- Hunters may apply by selecting Castle Rock State Park as their choice of hunting area on their Firearm or Muzzleloader deer permit application. Castle Rock must also be selected on the Muzzleloader deer permit application. Applications are to be submitted to, and will be processed by, the Springfield Permit Office.
- Hunters with Castle Rock Firearm and Muzzleloader Deer Permits must check in and deposit their hunting license by 5:00 am. Hunter registration will be at the Castle Rock State Park workshop. Any vacancies remaining at 5:00 am will be filled at that time by a drawing to allocate standby permits. Stand-by permits are issued as being valid for the day of issuance only; are site specific for Castle Rock only. No other deer permits are required. Non-resident stand-by hunters are required to have a non-resident hunting license and current habitat stamp. Deer permits for the Castle Rock Firearm and Muzzleloader seasons will be either sex permits.
- CWD Season:
- Castle Rock site specific permit is required to hunt the CWD season. Permits may be applied for online at http://dnr.illinois.gov . The application process will publicly be announce. A public announcement will be made as to whether unallocated permits will be available for sale over-the-counter from participating vendors. 30 permits will be issued for the CWD season. Hunters are required to register themselves in and check out on the clip board located at the Castle Rock Workshop for the available parking lots. Hunters may not arrive earlier than 2 hours before legal shooting time or exceed the posted number of hunters allowed per parking lot at one time.
- Standby permits will not be issued for the CWD season. Left over permits cannot be used.
- All hunters must wear blaze orange.
- Deer taken during the CWD season are not subject to the antlered deer bag limit restrictions imposed in other seasons.
- Hunting is allowed with any type of weapon that is legal for Statewide Deer Hunting during the specific season you are hunting.
- All deer taken must be checked in / reported to the site prior to leaving the site AND checked-in / reported as outlined in the statewide rules & regulations for reporting deer harvested during the regular statewide seasons.
- All deer stands and marking ribbons/flagging must be removed by February 1, 2016.
For more information please contact: Castle Rock S.P., 1365 W. Castle Road, Oregon, IL. 61061 (815)732-7329.