Mission of the Illinois Lake Michigan Offshore Wind Energy Advisory Council.
Pursuant to Illinois Public Act 97-0266, the Department of Natural Resources shall examine the topics identified in below and report its findings and recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly by June 30, 2012 in order to assist in the evaluation and consideration of offshore wind energy projects in Illinois waters of Lake Michigan.
The Council shall examine the topics identified below (subsection (b) of Section 10 of the Act) and shall make recommendations to the Department during the preparation of the report to the General Assembly and Governor.
In preparing a report, the Department shall evaluate all of the following:
- Appropriate criteria for the Department to use to review applications for offshore wind development of Lake Michigan lakebed leases.
- Criteria for identifying areas that are favorable, acceptable, and unacceptable for offshore wind development, including, but not limited to, impacts to wildlife, protected habitats, navigation, commercial fisheries, and recreational uses of Lake Michigan.
- A recommended process for ensuring public engagement in the Department's process for leasing Lake Michigan lakebed for offshore wind energy projects.
- Options for how the State shall be compensated for Lake Michigan lakebed leasing.
- A summary of the lessons learned from other domestic and international offshore wind development experiences, including, but not limited to, those related to public policy, regulatory, and siting concerns for offshore wind development.
- Identification of local, State, and federal authorities with permitting, siting, or other approval authority for wind power development in Lake Michigan.
- Recommendations for needed State legislation and regulations governing offshore wind farm development.