Please note: IRAP 2013 Youth Turkey Applications will be available November 2012!
IRAP is leasing land from private landowners and making it available for youth turkey hunting throughout many counties in Illinois. Most assigned hunting areas are at least 40 acres in size and all have been evaluated for turkey activity and the high possibility of a good hunting experience for the youth. Eligible youth hunters must be under the age of 16 at the time of the hunt and have completed a hunter safety course. IRAP has leased sites for three different turkey hunting seasons in the spring; Youth, regular 3rd and 4th.
- March 30 - 31 (South Zone)
- April 6 - 7 (North Zone)
Regular 3rd Season
- April 19 – 24 (South Zone)
- April 26 – May 1 (North Zone)
Regular 4th Season
- April 25–May 1 (South Zone)
- May 2– 8 (North Zone)
Available sites are listed on the IRAP Site Map.
How It Works
1. IRAP will begin taking applications in November 2012 for the spring 2013 season.
2. Deadline for Spring Youth Turkey season is 45 days prior the hunt date. A lottery
will be held for this season if more hunters apply for county that there are sites available.
3. Deadline for seasons 3 and 4 is 30 days prior to the beginning of the hunt date.
Youth applicants for season 3 and 4 must apply for and obtain an IDNR turkey permit for
the county they are applying for an IRAP site. Applicants will then be placed on an IRAP
site on a first come, first serve basis.
4. The youth hunter, along with his/her parent or guardian, must complete and submit
a Youth Turkey Hunting Application and Liability Waiver for each season applying for.
5. If an adult other than the parent or guardian will be accompanying the youth hunter during
the hunt, a Parent Authorization form must also be submitted. Download the hard copy
form here and mail it with your IRAP application.
6. Applicants should only fill out one application per season and is limited to two applications
to hunt on IRAP leased sites.
7. All youth hunters must have completed a hunter safety course prior to their hunt.
8. Successful youth hunters will be notified approximatly 30 days prior to the 1st day
of the season.
9. Youth hunters and their adult guide will not be given the property owner’s name and
contact information. The IRAP participants' names will not be disclosed to landowners .
IRAP access is provided through cooperation of private landowners
and the IL Dept of Natural Resources.
Participating is this program is a special privilege.
Please be respectful, ethical and safe.
Leave site as you found it – take all garbage with you
Park vehicle in designated parking area.
For more information on turkey hunting in Illinois, please visit IDNR’s website or National Wild Turkey Federation website