IRAP is leasing land from private landowners along public waterways and making it available for non-motorized boat launch access sites for the general public. Canoeing, kayaking and rafting is a fun and family friendly activity and a great way to relax while sightseeing along many of Illinois public waterways. Paddling down a river lets you share the wonders of nature and it just makes a lot of sense for families who enjoy outdoor adventure. For tips and information on paddle boating visit IDNR’s website.
Available launch sites are listed on the IRAP Site Map.
Non-Motorized Boat Launching on IRAP leased sites is available for public access
- From April 1 – September 30
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
- From sunrise to sunset.
- For foot traffic only
How It Works
1. A participant must first register online and receive an IRAP participant ID Number
2. During the registration process, the participant must agree to and sign the Liability Waiver.
3. Once the IRAP participant is registered, he or she may go to IRAP’s reservation system and
make up to three reservations for non-motorized boat launch sites.
4. When a reservation is complete, you will be instructed to print your IRAP Reservation
Permit for your vehicle and a smaller one to carry on your person.
5. If a family or group is participating in the same activity at the same site and day, all
participants over five must register.
IRAP access is provided through cooperation of private landowners
and the IL Dept of Natural Resources.
Participating is this program is a special privilege.
Please be respectful, ethical and safe.
Leave site as you found it – take ALL garbage with you
Park vehicle in designated parking area.