Documents Updated: May 16, 2013
Illinois Coastal Grants Program - Summer 2013
The Illinois Coastal Management Program (ICMP) is announcing the Summer 2013 Coastal Grants for outstanding environmental education projects within Illinois Coastal Zone communities. Applicants can request between $30,000 and $100,000 to fund one-year projects to support community education, outreach, teacher development, permanent education displays. Projects must focus on one or more environmental priorities within the Illinois Lake Michigan Coastal Zone. Competitive grants will be available for innovative, thoughtful approaches to education and outreach on coastal environmental topics.
This is a brand new grants program, and we're excited to focus our inaugural request for applications on quality environmental education and outreach projects. Subsequent grant cycles are expected to be broader and may have different award criteria.
Applications are available above and will be accepted through July 1, 2013.
Application Deadline: July 1, 2013
Informational Grant Workshop: June 4, 2013. Grant Workshop Flyer
Grant Period: October 1st 2013 through September 30th, 2014.
Grant Focus: Lake Michigan Coastal Education and Outreach
Grant Amounts: $30,000 to $100,000
Total Funding Available: Approximately $500,000
Requirements: Applicant must be a unit of government or a 501(c)3. Project must be located within a Coastal Zone community. 50% match required for most applicants. Governmental entities in Economically Challenged Communities: 25% match. See grants manual for more details.
Award Criteria Include: Quality of proposal, anticipated outputs and outcomes, feasibility, timeline, cost effectiveness, qualification of applicants, partnerships, and innovation
- Formal and/or informal educational and community outreach programs
- Teacher development projects which train educators on how to teach environmental
- Permanent educational displays (access must be free to the public)
Environmental Priorities: The priorities identified in the Illinois Lake Michigan Implementation Plan will be the focus of this grant program: Habitat, Ecosystems and Natural Area Restoration; Nonpoint Source Pollution; Sustainable Development; Persistent Bio-Accumulative Toxins; Public Access and Recreation; Invasive Species; Climate Change; Economic Development; and Priority Waterways
1. Carefully read the grants manual and Application Instructions and follow all instructions.
2. Complete Application, Application Narrative, and Detailed Proposed budget and attach required supplemental material.
3. Mail one completed and signed paper copy of the application packet, postmarked by July 1, 2013 to:
Illinois Coastal Management Program
160 N Lasalle Street Suite S703
Chicago IL 60601
4. Email one completed and signed electronic copy of the application packet to DNR.CMP@illinois.gov by 5:00 pm on July 1, 2013
Determine whether your project is within the Illinois Coastal Zone
Create a map for your application packet
Links to help you fill out your application
Links to help calculate the value of cost-share match
Participate in the Watershed Central Wiki/ ILMIP