William W. Powers State Recreation Area, located on Wolf Lake on Chicago's far southeast side at the Illinois-Indiana state line, offers opportunities to get outdoors and enjoy nature in the city for residents and visitors.
A 160-acre recreation area was acquired by the State of Illinois in 1947 and became known as the Wolf Lake State Recreation Area. Other acquisitions have now increased the area to 580 acres, of which 419 acres are water.
In 1965, the Illinois General Assembly approved changing the name of the site to honor the memory of William W. Powers, a former state legislator, who was well-known for his deep interest in the promotion of recreation for the residents of his district.
Wolf Lake provides outstanding fishing, with largemouth bass, northern pike, bluegill, redear sunfish, crappie, bullhead, carp, walleye, and hybrid muskie. About six miles of shoreline is available to bank fisherman.
William W. Powers SRA is a great venue for nature education for area children and families, as well as for picnics and family outings.